Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

TMPro_Input does not work on Oculus Quest.

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by techmage, Apr 7, 2020.

1. techmage

techmage

So I have found the TMPro_Input component does not work on Oculus Quest or Oculus Go. Because due to all the checks in the component it ends up thinking an Oculus Quest is an Android Phone/Tablet and that just ends up breaking it with virtual keyboards in Unity.

I need to get my project shipped pretty quick. I think this is a simple fix, can probably give you the fixed cs file. But am wondering are the TMPro guys responsive to fixing issues and getting new builds pushed out through the package manager? Or should I just fix it on my own and diverge from the official package?

2. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

I would like to get more information on those issues as this is the first time this is reported. I am aware of many users using TMP with these various devices so not sure if this is a new issue or something we might have missed.

If you can / have a solution for the issue on your end, please feel free to share. You can also submit a bug report and also provide the changes you feel are necessary to properly address the issue. If you do submit a bug report please provide me with the Case #.

In terms of the TextMesh Pro guys being responsive, the text team is composed of myself and I do my best to be as responsive as possible. Obviously I have a lot of stuff on my plate but again do my best to keep things moving forward.

As far as handling of the issue, most likely the fix would be included in a subsequent release of the TMP package unless the fix required a change in Unity itself.

3. techmage

techmage

To be more specific, the input field receives text, but you cannot move the caret. I think it is because line 1436 in TM_InputField.cs should return on VR devices using a virtual keyboard in unity, but on Oculus Quest/Go it doesn't.

4. travis-TAP-3D

travis-TAP-3D

Was there ever a solution or changes made for this? I've still observing that the TMP Input field doesn't work well with the Quest system keyboard as well -- including techmage's issue among a few others. (Unity 2021 latest LTS)