Search Unity

TextMesh Pro TMPro Upgrade from Unity 5.4.1 to Unity 2017.4.3 - Missing scripts issue !

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by Dragonic8926, Jul 31, 2018.

1. Dragonic8926

Dragonic8926

Hello,

I have some issues with the upgrade of my project from Unity 5.4.1 to Unity 2017.4.3 !
    Had to upgrade 2 plugins (Spine and TMPro) in order to clear all console errors. But for TMPro I can't find a way to keep the sync of my Text component script.

If I try to import the last version without deleting the old TextMeshPro folder, I have some duplicate methods errors.
    If I delete the folder and install the last version I don't have any console error, but every TextMeshPro UGUI component now have a "Missing script" value ! I don't really want to find the hundreds of texts in my game and manualy update the component with the new script >< !

Is it possible to keep the component data with the upgrade ?

Another question : I saw that I couldn't use my old TM fonts after the upgrade. Is there a way to convert old files to make them work with the last version ?

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
  2. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Are you trying to upgrade from the source code to the dll / free version of TMP?

3. Dragonic8926

Dragonic8926

I don't really know how to check that.
    In the old Unity version, before the upgrade, TMPro has a "32 Bit Plugins" and "64 Bit Plugins" folders with TMPro_Plugin.dll inside, but I also have a "Scripts" folder with all source code it seems.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
  4. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Since you are using the source code version of TextMesh Pro, you need to upgrade to the latest source code version from the TextMesh Pro user forum.

The latest releases are located in the members only "TMP - Alpha, Beta & Final Releases" section of the forum. You will need to register to the user forum to gain access to this section.

The latest releases are in the top sticky post in that section of the forum. Be sure to read and follow the upgrade instructions.

Provided you follow the upgrade instructions, you should be able to upgrade from your older version to this new one source code version without any lose of data or script references.

P.S. The package manager version of TMP which is available for Unity 2018.1 and up also includes source code in case you can use 2018.1 and up. Upgrading to the TMP UPM package will require a conversion of the project with the provided "TMP Project Files GUID Remapping" tool which will also allow you to preserve all TMP related data.

5. Dragonic8926

Dragonic8926

Thank you, I will follow this !

Stephan_B likes this.
  6. AkenYorx

AkenYorx

Hi Stephan, I need to upgrade a project in Unity 5.6 to Unity 17.4(LTS) using TextMeshPro. I tryed to update the TextMeshPro but I lost all reference in the project. I tried to upgrade to Unity 18.4(LTS) and use the TMP version implemented in Unity but I had the same issue. I have tried to access to the forums and download the TMP version for the 17.3 but I can't register. Is any way to upgrade TextMeshPro in this project from Unity 5.6 to 17.4 or 18.4 without lossing any references?

7. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

The migration from 5.6 to 2018.4 should work fine but you must follow the procedure outlined in the following sticky thread / post.

As per the information in that post, the GUID used by legacy versions of TMP is different then in the newer releases. As such you will need to use the Project GUID Remapping tool but do so as per the instructions in that post.

AkenYorx likes this.
  8. AkenYorx

AkenYorx

It works! Thanks Stephan! I just lost the text positions of the TMP component but I can change it manualy

9. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

The position of the text object should be preserved provided you upgraded to version 1.5.0-preview.2 of the TMP package.

10. AkenYorx

AkenYorx

It works! Thanks Stephan!

Stephan_B likes this.