Search Unity

Bug TMPro and Unity UI input field bugs on HoloLens 2 (UWP)

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by Max_Wang_MS, Dec 1, 2020.

1. Max_Wang_MS

Max_Wang_MS

Hi there,
    Currently on the HoloLens 2 (UWP) platform, there is two bugs related to TMPro and Unity UI input fields.
    For TMPro, when trying to type into a TMPro Input Field on built HoloLens 2 player, the auto suggestion does not work due to the way Unity handles the input. After typing a letter on the keyboard the auto suggestion appears for a frame before disappearing or does not appear at all. This behavior is in contrast with the Unity UI input field.
    For Unity UI, when trying to type into a Unity UI Input Field on built HoloLens 2 player, the backspace key does not work unlike the TMPro input field.
    I have filed two separate bug reports for the issues (#1296300 and #1296294, they share the same project files though). Although the issues seem to be specific to HoloLens/UWP, I believe they can be resolved at the TMP/Unity UI package level and have proposed solutions/presented my findings in the bug reports. Hope they are helpful. The version of Unity UI is 1.0.0 (published Nov 12, 2020), the version of TMPro is 2.1.3 and the version of Unity is 2019.4.15f1.
    By the way, separate from the issues mentioned above both Unity UI and TMPro input fields seem to be not functioning properly (i.e. do not work at all, keyboard does not pop up) on HoloLens 2 player built with Unity 2018.4.29f1 and my guess is there is no plan to further update either package in Unity 2018 right? Please correct me if I am wrong.
    Thanks in advance for the help!