Search Unity

TMP solution for DOTS?

Discussion in 'Entity Component System' started by TarikLarbaoui, Nov 29, 2020.

1. TarikLarbaoui

TarikLarbaoui

Hey I'm building a "Twitch Plays". Considering the possible high number of players I chose to give DOTS a try and the performance savings have been quite nice. https://imgur.com/a/FWvfMRY https://imgur.com/a/bhs6aed

In the GIF I basically spawn a character everytime someone types anything in the twitch.tv/rocketleague channel. The usernames and messages are logged in the console. They are all spawned from code :

Code (CSharp):
    1.  void Start()
    2.     {
    3.         // connect to twitch channel
    4.         Connect();
    6.         // setup references to World and EntityManager
    7.         defaultWorld = World.DefaultGameObjectInjectionWorld;
    8.         entityManager = defaultWorld.EntityManager;
    10.         // generate Entity Prefab
    11.         if (gameObjectPrefab != null)
    12.         {
    13.             blobAssetStore = new BlobAssetStore();
    14.             GameObjectConversionSettings settings = GameObjectConversionSettings.FromWorld(defaultWorld, blobAssetStore);
    15.             entityPrefab = GameObjectConversionUtility.ConvertGameObjectHierarchy(gameObjectPrefab, settings);
    17.         }
    18.     }
    20.     private void InstantiateEntity(string chatName)
    21.     {
    23.         Entity myEntity = entityManager.Instantiate(entityPrefab);
    24.         entityManager.SetComponentData(myEntity, new PlayerData
    25.         {
    26.             chatName = new NativeString64(chatName)
    27.         });
    28.     }
    except for the one I put in the scene manually, which retains his TextMeshPro component by me adding the Convert to entity, mode : Convert and inject script on the TMP component.
    upload_2020-11-29_14-56-0.png

This however doesn't work when I add the same script to the same prefab from which I spawn my entities. (The "entityPrefab" variable in my code above.)

So my question is what is the best method to display usernames above the players?

Ideal solution : Is there a way to display a textmesh in DOTS? Whether it be pure DOTS or some conversion workflow. As you can see for my needs, it really doesn't need all the features that TextMeshPro has.

Plan B solution : Although I'm anticipating a performance hit, how would I convert and inject from code the same way I did it manually?

Thank you very much. I'm happy to post more code, pictures, gifs, answer questions from less advanced devs who want to know how I did this and thank you in advance for your wisdom, forum gods.

Edit : Don't know how to put the Help wanted tag.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020