Search Unity

TMP - Possible to truncate full words?

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by Fu11English, Jul 17, 2021.

1. Fu11English

Fu11English

As the title, is it possible to truncate full words. I can only seem to truncate individual letters. Or actually in my case it’s a string of 1 or 2 digit numbers, sometimes the units digits are truncated off the right but the tens digits remain which looks ugly.

I tried changing the word spacing too but it didn’t really solve it.

2. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Truncate and Ellipsis Overflow Modes either truncate or replace individual characters.

There is no Overflow modes right now to truncate full words which is something I could consider adding.

Can you post a few examples of this just so we could get feedback from other users to see if they would find this functionality useful.

3. Fu11English

Fu11English

I thought it was pretty self explanatory, but here is a piccy!

Truncation.PNG

New numbers are added on the left and fall off the right. The 2 on the right is actually another 24. I simply want it to automatically hide the full 'word'.

***I have since found that setting the overflow method to Linked (with no link) to give me the desired effect. But I don't know if that is getting a bit hacky?!

4. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Good catch :) That should indeed provide the desired result and should be fine to us as such.

P.S. I'll see if I can add a new overflow mode that does the above but without the Link part just to minimize potential confusion.

Fu11English likes this.