Search Unity

Bug TMP Monospace Tag Issue

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by TomTheMan59, May 16, 2022.

1. TomTheMan59

TomTheMan59

Is this a known issue? The monospace isn't making the spacing between these characters even.

2. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Monospacing doesn't make the spacing between characters even, if makes the spacing of each character even.

Below is an example where I am using "<mspace=20>0.00" where it doesn't seem like the characters are evenly spaced.

upload_2022-5-17_12-59-51.png

However, if I draw rectangles of identical size around each character, we can see they are in fact correctly and evenly spaced.

upload_2022-5-17_13-4-42.png

Note that each character is centered in the given space which in this example is 20 units.

3. TomTheMan59

TomTheMan59

Dang! I am trying to get my timer to stop jiggling and someone suggested doing this.

Is there anyway to stop the font from jiggling as it counts up? It isn't a monospaced font and the only solution is to set it to align upper-left but that doesn't keep it centered in its container.

I tried centering the text every frame by measuring its length, but that also causes jiggling.

Another solution was to break up the seconds and milliseconds into two different labels but that doesn't work as the period can be overlapped.

Is there anyway to fix this issue easily?

4. TomTheMan59

TomTheMan59

5. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Using the <mspace=x> markup tag should work.

6. TomTheMan59

TomTheMan59

This is what I did in the OP and you explained why it doesn’t work. I am very confused :(?

You can see the spacing between the period is the issue.

7. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

When using Monospace and depending on the font, the spacing can look weird but you should be able to tweak the <mspace=x> value to get a decent result and when doing so, the digits / glyphs will be stable.

8. Prodigga

Prodigga

9. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

10. Prodigga

Prodigga

Thanks for chasing up!

In the example above it was single UGUI TMP component with a portion surrounded by tags. ie:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. <mspace=0.65em>1.23</mspace> miles
    But I've since split it up into two separate UGUI TMP objects (positioned using a horizontal layout group) and swapped out for a true monospace font. The true monospace font works fine, and the old font still doesnt work. So, to be clear, this is two separate TMP components:
    • One just says 'Miles' (no mspace tags)
    • the other one is the number and the entire thing is surrounded by mspace tag
    https://imgur.com/a/6aN0GAP