Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question TMP 3.2.0-pre.2 Font rendering broken with Distance Field shader

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by CDF, Nov 30, 2021.

1. CDF

CDF

Using the default "TextMeshPro/Distance Field Shader". All fonts are rendering like this:

tmp.png

Any ideas what's happening here?

2. CDF

CDF

Ah nevermind. Had to also update the TMP essential resources:

Window -> TextMeshPro -> Import TMP Essential Resources

3. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Indeed as per the Upgrade Notes in Package Manager.

P.S. I have requested a new feature be added to Package Manager where clicking Upgrade would display an Upgrade Note window to make it easier to inform users of things like ... be sure to re-import the TMP Essential Resources ... as it is far to easy to miss those notes in the package description which is a bad place to put this information ...

CDF likes this.
  4. CDF

CDF

Yeah. Or couldn't the required resources just be bundled with the main package? Always found it strange that I need to import essential resources. TMP can't really function without them right?

At least the shaders anyway

5. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

There are 2 main reasons for not including those resources in the package.

(1) Some users do not use text at all in the project :confused: or TMP whereby we don't want these resources to be forced upon them or included in builds.
    (2) Many of the assets included with TMP are often modified by users like changing metrics on font assets, modifying material presets, etc. So we need to make sure users can modify those. This includes allowing users to tweak the shaders and all.

Adding the ability to display a message when clicking Upgrade in Package Manager would be ideal for me and I believe AssetStore publishers as well. This would enable displaying relevant information before actually Upgrading the package with the option for a user to cancel the upgrade as well.