Search Unity

TextMesh Pro TMP 2.1.0p.3 weird noise appears at random on text

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by alexds9, Dec 25, 2019.

1. alexds9

alexds9

I upgraded to Unity 2019.3.0f3, TMP 2.1.0p.03, Lightweight RP 7.1.7. Problem seen at Android devices, Android 8 & 9, not in the Unity editor.
    Some TMP objects started to show weird noise sometimes.
    For example, text that should look like this:
    upload_2019-12-25_8-5-52.png
    Sometimes looks like this:
    upload_2019-12-25_8-7-38.png
    Interestingly the note character at the same TMP text isn't influenced.
    The problem can appear and disappear for a certain text, even at the same session.
    I tested a few different devices.
    TMP settings for component that I'm using:
    upload_2019-12-25_8-16-55.png
    upload_2019-12-25_8-15-34.png
    upload_2019-12-25_8-16-0.png

I have imported "Import TMP Essential Resources" and used "Project Files GUID Remapping Tool" beforehand.
    Any suggestions/ideas/workarounds?

2. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

I believe this is related to some build settings for Android related to textures / compression.

There should be another post about this / texture related issue ... this is related to the Unity upgrade not specify to TMP.

3. alexds9

alexds9

@Stephan_B
    I can't find the other post regarding this issue that you mentioned.
    Can you please reference it to me, or point me to an information regrading Android related textures/compression/upgrade problem you think it's caused by?

4. alexds9

alexds9

I downgraded to TMP 2.0.1, used "Import TMP Essential Resources" and "Project Files GUID Remapping Tool". I had to fix text alignment problems.
    Unfortunately it is working the same like TMP 2.1.0p.03 version. In editor everything is fine, but on real device strange noise appears sometime on text.
    I think that I understand when the problem appears. If I have TMP on top of UI elements only, than the noise appears. But if TMP text is in front of enabled Sprite Renderers, than the noise problem would not appear, and TMP text would look like it should be.
    I having a hard time to understand why wouldn't it be considered a bug in TMP, and what can I do to fix it in my project.

5. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Are these text objects, <TextMeshPro> or <TextMeshProUGUI> objects?

Do you get the same result using the Mobile Distance Field shader instead of the full Distance Field?

In terms of the issue, it looks like some texture is being applied to the face of the text which is pretty strange. Given it is platform specific, it is some type of rendering / texture handling issue.

Can you submit a but report with the included project so that I can easily reproduce the behavior?

6. alexds9

alexds9

They are TextMeshProUGUI objects.
    I haven't checked "Mobile Distance Field" yet. But I tested my guess regarding Sprite Renderers in the background. I have added Sprite Renderer in the background of a scene, with alpha = 2. And the problem with TMP noise disappeared for now. So it's kinda fine workaround for me, for now...
    Hopefully I will check your suggestion regarding "Mobile Distance Field", and create a project to reproduce this problem in the next days.

7. vladboroday

vladboroday

Hi. I'm getting the same issue. Unity 2021.1.5f1, TMP 3.0.6. Same result using the Mobile Distance Field shader and full Distance Field.
    It doesn't happen all the time. Temporarily fixes if i minimize and maximize application

8. Williamsii

Williamsii

vert much the same problem. please advise

Attached Files:

• snap.jpg
      snap.jpg
      File size:
      113.3 KB
      Views: