Search Unity

Tizen - Ducker my first release

Discussion in 'Tizen' started by Jonny-Roy, Dec 23, 2015.

1. Jonny-Roy

Jonny-Roy

Hi All,

Noticed there wasn't a section for Tizen releases, so figured I would post here.

My first release is Ducker, a unique road crossing game where you have to try and progress through forever increasingly difficult obstacles while saving you baby ducks.

Use the Bezel in the Gear S2 or the touch screen on older devices to control Ducker to save her baby ducks, collect coins and avoid obstacles. Compete for the highest score against the rest of the world.

Yes this is Made with Unity for Tizen Wearable devices, so Gear S2, Gear S, Gear 2 and 2 Neo. Here is the link to the page on unity:

http://madewith.unity.com/games/ducker

And a little screenshot just for this thread is attached.

Anyway, it's come out very good and is great fun to play, if you have a Tizen based watch, download and have a play when you get a chance!

Thanks,

Jon

Attached Files:

2. code-blep

code-blep

I love the look of this! Will try it out asap! Out of curiosity your did you access the Bezel from Unity? Last I heard it was a PITA to access it. Hats off to you, it's the best game I have seen for the Gear S2!

Jonny-Roy likes this.
  3. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

What are your downloads like?
    I thought to develop for Tizen phones think there are two of them. You rekon better to develop for watch like you did?

BKMAK likes this.
  4. Jonny-Roy

Jonny-Roy

I had to write a plugin, it wasn't to bad to do actually although you have to do it in C++ but a posted a basic one in another thread. Thanks for the comment, I'm hoping to trump it with my next :D

It's been out 1 week 100 downloads based on the online scores... I don't have the official figures yet it could be a little more if some people are offline, so I guess it depends i'd say there is a limited audience. I'm getting a phone soon, so I'll do a release to that then I can compare! I'll post some figures end of January. Unity say the S2 deployment isn't officially supported but I didn't think it was too much hassle to get to work... though a few users have claimed the S2 3G version crashes, could be a SDK issue as I didn't use the new release, so I'll patch and see what happens!

code-blep likes this.
  5. Jonny-Roy

Jonny-Roy

Just a quick update the official number of downloads is 2444 to date, so internet connections from Watches is somewhat unreliable if it is a standalone app, as only 175 have connected to the online scoreboard.

code-blep and MrEsquire like this.
  6. code-blep

code-blep

@Jonny Roy Just tried to visit your website by the way and it's a bit broken. Just thought you might like to know! Downloading Ducker right now ;)

7. code-blep

code-blep

8. Jonny-Roy

Jonny-Roy

Thanks Hex, that will teach me to rush that part of things! I'd better fix it up, I don't know about you but game dev is awesome until you finish the game and have to set up loads of web content :S. Glad you like it, already working on my next Gear game, it's an interesting device to dev for.

9. code-blep

code-blep

No problem, glad to help. I hate the web stuff as well, and I used to be a web developer! Will keep an eye out for the next one :)

10. AlexSD2

AlexSD2

Hi

Very interesting, congrats for you succesful publishing, I made a GearS2 game too but it get rejected by samsung store, the game quits once sent to background, ¿are you able to resume your game when returned from background? ¿can you keep the playerprefs when app quits?

My game is very simple, just a maze, a bounch of stones, and a limited time to pick'em all with a sphere, that sphere is guided using gear's acelerometer, four levels in total, really nothing out of the blue, it have 3 different levels of difficulty but you have to beat the game without sending it to background, otherwise all progress data get lost, playerprefs works while the app is active.

Those couple of things have me stuck and I don't know what to do

Thanks in advance for any comment

Saludos
    Alexander Cardona
    Manizales - Colombia
    Game.png

11. Jonny-Roy

Jonny-Roy

Well, this is a tricky one, firstly the last build to be approved was 5.3.2 p4, this might be relevant as it had some fixes in it, but the most important thing I can think of is making sure you can Save on the playerprefs. If you don't call this on certain platforms in certain circumstances they don't save (Windows Store is quite typical for this) if this doesn't fix it let me know, but I'm pretty sure it will probably be the issue with the Save.

AlexSD3 likes this.
  12. noAlvaro

noAlvaro

Hi Jonny!

First of all, congratulation for the game. Best one I've seen so far for my Gear S2.

I'm planning to start developing this kind of game using Unity. I do have some experience but I never deployed anything for Tizen wearable. So I would like to have your insight on some questions:

1. Is it really that simple to deploy for Tizen? Is it just about selecting the *Tizen Platform* inside Unity's *Build Settings" or there is some caveat I should be aware of?
    2. Tizen seems to be running on a variety of devices, including smart TV. Is there something specific about deploying on wearable devices like my Gear S2?
    3. I'm currently using Unity3D version 5.3.4f1. Which one you used to deploy it?

Thanks and congrats again!

13. Jonny-Roy

Jonny-Roy

Thanks! heres some tips...

1. Developing for Tizen is a bit of a trickier setup than the others, follow the deployment instructions to the letter if you can create a build you have done everything right! There is a lot of info here in the forums about when things go wrong, and the Unity are also great a supporting any issues here.

2. For TV's you use the Samsung TV build, for the watches you use the normal Tizen setup and then install the Wearable SDK too (I think this is all included in the new 2.4 latest release of the Tizen SDK)

You have to be very carefull on battery usage, and memory, for example in Ducker during the OnApplicationPause event I disable every game object that is not needed in order to reduce background battery usage, if you don't do this you will get rejected. Use the Tizen Dynamic Analyser to check battery usage, make sure it stays the same when your app is in the background as when it's not running.

3. 5.3.4p5 there was a fix for some Tizen stuff in one of the patches.

It can be touch to target the watch due to it not being officially supported, but it is certainly possible,

Good luck and post to the forums if you hit any problems,

Jon

MrEsquire likes this.
  14. Jonny-Roy

Jonny-Roy

Hi NoAlvaro,

Following up on this I just had an update rejected because it doesn't resume, seems to be an issue with the way Unity handle the wake up event which conflicts in some way and terminates the app. I get:

AUL_AMD ( 433): amd_main.c: __app_dead_handler(253) > __app_dead_handler, pid: xxx

where xxx is the Unity process Id, I've yet to figure out a way round this, and event older builds seem to exert the problem, I have a feeling the last firmware update may have broken the facility for us to do watch builds and have the pass certification :( I've reached out to samsung for more info, I'll keep you posted.

I may have to revert back to the old plan of creating my own custom build target...

Jon

15. TizianoStrife

TizianoStrife

Hi Jonny,

I've been developing an app for the Samsung Gear S2 (which runs Tizen) for a while. I'm using Unity 5.3.5p3, and Tizen 2.4.0rev6 with Tizen Wearable 2.3.1 profile.

And now that I've almost finished, strange bugs appear.

I've made a Shared Object (.so) library, successfully connected it to Unity, successfully installed my app on the device, and everything works.

Everything works until I switch off "Development Build" in Unity build settings. Then, it seems like it can load the library (it gives me no error about missing functions or whatever), but the functions inside my library don't get executed at all, not even half a log.

What's going on here?

(I can publish some code if you want to, but I don't think it would be of any help, since it all works out fine on development build)

16. Jonny-Roy

Jonny-Roy

Hi Triziano,

I've not had that issue at all, sounds unusual, you've debugged using the Log within Eclipse to make sure it's looking in the right path and checked the TPK to make sure it's including the .so?

I'm happy to have a look but I'd need a repro, feel free to either PM or if it contains nothing you mind sharing post it here.

Please still note what I said about the resume issue, it still seems to be a problem on the S2.

Thanks,

Jon

17. ghopunz

ghopunz

HI, Jonny,
    By the way, How do U make bezel and rotary input in unity?

18. rakyatmiskin

rakyatmiskin

Hi....
    I have a problem when submit to the store...
    they say I used API that not officially documented, is that because I create my own plugin (shared object) to the project??

19. The-Mystery-muppet

The-Mystery-muppet

have you released the Bezel Plugin for download anywhere? i would love to make a tizen game in unity with the bezel control but i cannot find any way to do it online

20. Jonny-Roy

Jonny-Roy

Try the new 5.4 p4 it looks like it might be fixed now!

21. Jonny-Roy

Jonny-Roy

Not yet, I held off because there were several issues with Tizen builds, it looks like they might be fixed, I'll run some tests and maybe release a project with it.

22. rakyatmiskin

rakyatmiskin

Hi, today my friend try to build with Unity 5.4 p4, but it's still rejected by the store because undocumented API...
    was Ducker not getting this issue when submitted to store?

23. Jonny-Roy

Jonny-Roy

No it didn't, but it got suspended because of an issue with the Gyroscope conflicting in Unity and crashing on Exit.

24. Jonny-Roy

Jonny-Roy

Okay, just an update, I get:

[Defect]
    An API, which is not officially documented in the Tizen SDK, has been used in the source code of the Application package.

[Expected Result]
    APIs that are not officially documented in the Tizen SDK should not be used in the source code of Application packages.

[Reference]
    Undocumented API is for internal platform developer only and such APIs are subjected to change without notice.
    So if application uses undocumented API, it does not guarantee compatibility for future platform update.
    See the attached file for further details on the use of undocumented APIs.

Now, where I didn't used to, although they do not state which API it is...

Helpful,

Jom

25. Y8sy

Y8sy

Hi Jonny-Roy,

I have been following this for a while and it seems you've gone quiet. How are you going with the bezel plugin for unity? Are you going to release it?

Cheers

Trent.

26. Jonny-Roy

Jonny-Roy

Hi Trent,

Well, basically unless Samsung and Unity get together and resolve the issue with the Undocumented API, we're stuck in limbo as far as Gear S2/3 development goes, you simply can not publish anymore, which is a shame because you can create and run with no issues...so we will have to be patient and hope they resolve it themselves :(

Jon

27. Yonipm

Yonipm

Hi, I need your help, please.
    How do you detect the "gear s" rotating ring in a script?

Thanks,
    Simona

BKMAK and Appokalopps like this.
  28. samshosho

samshosho

Any guide on how to access tizen native stuff from within Unity?

29. BKMAK

BKMAK

Can you share the code in the mean time. I wont be needing to use it to publish, just develop apps for fun.