Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Ever participated in one our Game Jams? Want pointers on your project? Our Evangelists will be available on Friday to give feedback. Come share your games with us!
    Dismiss Notice

Tips to persuade people to download Unity's plug-in?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by marco_gamelix, Nov 19, 2008.

1. marco_gamelix

marco_gamelix

When I first downloaded Unity's plug-in I knew it was secure, but I'm a computer literate. Now that I have been distributing my first project between my friends, the first most people ask me is: "WHAT'S THAT? IS IT SAFE?". They are specially suspicious at messages coming from the instant messenger.

Now I'd like to make commercial projects, and I'm sure this will stop a big percentage of possible clients from downloading the player and using the demo. Clients can be really paranoid, I have worked with many. So I have to convince these people, that don't know me at all, that Unity is just a cool add-on that won't harm their computers.

Some ideas I have to persuade possible clients:

- Write "THIS IS NOT A VIRUS, BELIEVE ME!" in the message... but could cause the opposite effect :D

- Place a description of what Unity is in the demo's page/email, in their respective language.

- Place a video or image first, then a link to the demo.

Other ideas?

2. Charles Hinshaw

Charles Hinshaw

I think that there is an issue of trust, but it isn't trust in the Unity plugin, it is trust in the site with Unity content. That means that the non-Unity content needs to be compelling and professional too.

When it comes to actually getting the download to happen, I think that the guys at Flashbang have the right idea -- show them what they are missing by not having the player installed.

3. marco_gamelix

marco_gamelix

That's true, but spammers also make professional looking sites for their spybots.

I'm also thinking on sending demos to news sites, so they plant the field :D

4. OXYGEN

OXYGEN

I usually post on the email: You will be prompted to download and install the unity3d webplayer

This usually puts potential users at there ease if they not sure what to expect from your demo/link

5. MatthewW

MatthewW

6. deram_scholzara

deram_scholzara

Yes, but computer illiterate people fall for those sites... so use that to your advantage on your site, which is trustworthy.

7. boomaster_legacy

boomaster_legacy

think about how people get other people to download something like flash player 10...

8. Deleted User

Deleted User

For Mac users, I think it helps if they've downloaded a Unity Mac widget. Then they've got the Unity plugin installed, already (although I've still had people get confused with the widget installation - "it hangs", "nothing happened")

But of course, that doesn't help you on Windows.

9. AaronC

AaronC

I usually say "You will need to get the 3d plugin- its kinda like flash and kinda like downloading quicktime, and its quite small...its free and its absolutely 100% safe. Its the only way you can view this 3d stuff. Its kinda similar to steam, but nowhere near as sucky"

AC

10. taumel

taumel

The simple answer, interesting content well advertised.

It get's far more tricky if you're after installs in companies though.

unityunity