Search Unity

Tips on importing Asset store assets into a project

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CaptCanada, Dec 11, 2020.

1. CaptCanada

CaptCanada

Hi al

Just wondering if there are any "tips" on importing assets into a current project so that I don't get errors related to scripts, shaders etc?

I have read that it's best to import a new asset into an empty project to see if it causes errors within the editor and then select those items I want to use and export as a new package.

As an example, I only want the prefabs and/or models inside an Asset and don't need the demo scenes, fps controller, custom scripts, etc.

When importing into a current project, can I simple unselect the items that I feel I don't need in my project so that they don't cause issues?

Thanks in advance!

2. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

When you import the asset you'll see a list of all files in the asset package, which checkboxes next to them. You use the checkboxes to pick and choose which files. If you want to experiment first, doing so in an empty project first is not a terrible idea. Make a backup of your main project first before importing there, if you aren't using version control.

But errors related to scripts or shaders are often from the asset using outdated code from much older Unity versions. No amount of segregation will correct that for you.

Antypodish likes this.
  3. CaptCanada

CaptCanada

Thanks.

I have done exactly as you have stated, importing the asset into an empty project first to see if there are any errors. If not, I then select the items I want to export from the asset.

Thanks for the info regarding the scripts and shaders. I have found that most of the scripts that have caused me errors are related to the particular asset including Standard Assets for the standard and pro versions, as well as scripts that are outdated, as you mentioned.

4. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Standard Assets you can get from the Asset Store, but it is no longer maintained or supported. I think it was last updated around 2017.3 or so. Some scripts in Standard Assets will require manual editing to get to work in current versions (but you don't need to import the entire Standard Assets package).

5. MDADigital

MDADigital

I always untick standard assets if a asset depend on it.
    I also try to buy assets that have as little custom shaders as possible. Your game will become unmaintainable if every new assets comes with 10 new shaders

angrypenguin likes this.