Search Unity

Tips on how to go about shading coming from C4D anyone?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by alfred1963, Feb 9, 2008.

1. alfred1963

alfred1963

Hi I am new to Unity and strugling to make sense of how to get apply shaders in C4D, bake them,them on so on?

OR it s it better to do all of the shading in UNITY?

I am after tips on how to best approach this without wandering of into the slow lane altogether or straying of the correct path.

Also tips on importing practice from C4D would be nice.
    Please help me stay sane! :(

Thank you all

2. nm8shun

nm8shun

A few things:

a) Baking in C4D is great. Use Bake Object. Make sure you define a path.
    b) The baked shader it creates has the new texture map in the Luminance channel. Copy it to the Color channel.
    c) I like to copy the baked versions of the models into a new file (called BakedScene.c4d or something like that) because C4D actually creates a copy of the baked object and just hides the original. But Unity sees the hidden objects too, so you end up with two versions.
    d) Save the scene, and Unity should find everything just fine. Works great. Then yoiu don't have to do any lighting in Unity - and you end up with great looking lighting with a minimal drag on your video card (it doesn't have to draw shadows).

3. alfred1963

alfred1963

Thanks wadamw, that's helpful have made some progress in the meantime that's just the sort of advise I was looking for.

4. alfred1963

alfred1963

Being new to C4D and UNITY I make all mistakes I can, so if it helps someone else,
    learned the hard way not to automaticly tick all options when backing and hey you go ahead and remove all not needed parts in C4D when done.
    Anyway made progress hope that helps someone else.

Well trial and error works if one just keeps at it. :D

5. thomasvdb

thomasvdb

Hmm I have stil problems with the baking. Not with the baking itself actually, but with the UV maps it creates.

Everythings looks fine in Cinema4D but when I try to import it to Unity, the UV maps doesn't match. Well, some of them don't...
    The walls for instance are correct...

Edit: The balcony is alright now... adjusted the placement. Still the wooden floor isn't correct :(

Attached Files:

6. nm8shun

nm8shun

Yeah, sometimes C4D gets mixed up especially if you bake an object more than once or if you have more than one object named the same thing (don't have multiple "cube"s for instance).

I've found that if I double check before I bake to make sure I've named well, and that if I bake an object and then want to change it - that I go back and delete the first baked texture (or rename the object) you can avoid those weird results.