Search Unity

Tips For Monster-taming Game?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by IRMartinezz, Apr 14, 2019.

1. IRMartinezz

IRMartinezz

As should come as no surprise, Pokemon and some of the better Digimon games are a clear inspiration behind the idea of a monster-taming RPG and the genre has always been an idea I'd like to explore myself. Just to see if it was something I could manage to recreate, so my question is this: are there any particular resources, tutorials, anything really to make this personal project of mine a reality?

As of right now, I don't have very much experience in game development or coding and a quick search online has come up trumps for my question. This is merely a pet project at this stage, something to give me enough inspiration to stick with it for more than a couple of hours for a change.

Anything that could point me in the right sort of direction would be fantastic, and greatly appreciated.

With that, any help is much appreciated, so thanks.

2. kdgalla

kdgalla

Try looking at Unity's official tutorials:
    https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials

They are not about monster taming games, but once you learn about Scripting and Unity's features and editor, then you'll be able to create whatever sort of game that you want.

3. ClaudiaTheDev

ClaudiaTheDev

That is really a hard project when you do not have experience. The battle system alone is very hard to do and you will need a couple of monsters too.
    I perhaps suggest that as a compromise for learning you could rather make a tamagotchi game where you can raise different monsters/pets. Sure it is no pokemon or digimon but it also doesnt need a battle system with leveling mechanics and all that stuff.

When trying to do a monster-taming game without experience in coding and game development you will get frustrated. I am speaking from experience because i work on a monster-taming game. I am a pro in C# and even for me the battle system was a really hard part to do (and i am not even finished now). Not only the coding but also the balancing of the stats, attack animations etc. It is really a lot of more work than "a couple of hours".

For a start you should do like three or five unity tutorials for small games examples and after that work on a small own project.
    When you have a bit more experiecne you can challenge your initial pokemon/digimon idea!

Antypodish and Ryiah like this.
  4. Gigglebooster

Gigglebooster

I think you would benefit most from looking at RPG tutorials. I don't know of any monster taming tutorials, but those games are basically just rpgs with many party members and an option to add the enemy to your party if certain conditions are met. If you youtube brackeys rpg tutorials it would probably be a really good start

5. ISharperI

ISharperI

I'm probably necroing an old post but for anyone still curious about this, theres a youtuber i watch thats building gba style pokemon games in unity

https://youtube.com/c/GameDevExperiments

i came across this post to see if anyone has different variations of creature collecting though. Trying to figure out how legends arceus did everything on the same map.

dda_k likes this.