Search Unity

Tips for an absolute beginner

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SensitiveLungs, Sep 10, 2019.

1. SensitiveLungs

SensitiveLungs

I'm a teen who is starting from absolute scratch on all sides of the developing spectrum. Any beginner tips you guys would not mind sharing would be an amazing help.

2. pk_Holzbaum

pk_Holzbaum

The following tips may seem a little snarky, but are meant quite seriously:

1. Learn to use the learn section. https://unity.com/learn
    2. Learn to use the search function for the forums. I'm pretty sure there have already been threads with tips.
    3. Learn to be specific. Don't ask for general help, ask for specific help. Right now I know you are a Unity beginner, but I have no idea if you know how to code, model or anything. I don't even know what you want to achieve, how am I supposed to help you?
    4. Learn to help yourself. There is no shame in asking for help and there are many helpful people on the forums. But if you ever want to get anything done try to solve problems yourself before asking.
    5. If you still have a coding problem you can get help in the scripting section. But remember to use code tags: https://forum.unity.com/threads/using-code-tags-properly.143875/
    6. (Game)development takes time. If you want to get anywhere, you are in for the long run.
    7. You won't get rich. You probably won't even make any money.

If you follow these general guidelines you will have a great time.

3. xVergilx

xVergilx

8. Run while you can.

No kidding, game dev is pretty much gambling. Addictive and sometimes makes you broke.

4. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

First, You need to have the patience of a tree. Go look at any tree. Every single day, it looks the same. But it's growing. It's been growing for a long time, and now it's a big-ass tree.

Second, learn to research and conduct the scientific method. It is the only reliable way to troubleshoot, solve problems, and discover what you don't know. If you are using anything less to base your decisions from, you'll make trouble for yourself. You learned it in school. Make sure you relearn it and practice it daily.

Third, your primary game development tool is google. Every question you will ask in the next year has already been asked many times by people just like you, and has received many thorough answers. You just have to learn to find the answers. (and don't read one answer and be done. Find all the answers!)

Fourth, don't try to learn fast. Focus on learning thoroughly. Nothing you create in the next several years is going to be good. Don't fool yourself. If you learn why things work the way they do and go overboard with making sure that you really understand, you'll be able to work dramatically faster than others because when things go wrong you'll understand why quickly. And you'll be able to plan and organize more smartly.

Fifth, finish everything you start, start as many things as you can, and submit everything you finish to as many people for feedback as possible. The technical aspects of games is one thing, but games are art which means they are to be reviewed subjectively by your audience. That means understanding your audience is your primary concern.

Some people might make a point that there is times when quitting or taking a tactical retreat is the right decision... that's true, but you are 16. The most important life skill to develop is persistence. If you don't develop it now, you likely never will, and without persistence accomplishing your goals will be almost impossible.

5. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored