Search Unity

Tippy Wings, yes another clone BUT, this one was done with love!

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by Kelde, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Kelde

Kelde

Hey all!

Small intro to why this even happend:

Me and Jesse Comb from the forums decided we wanted to do soemthing quick, something familiar and popular at the time (obviously).
    We felt like the Flappy Bird clones were made with little effort, all use a simple graphic style, exept some seriously nice ones i saw, and they are mostly pixelart.

So we give you Tippy Wings, a fully handpainted, boneanimated version. Coded by Jesse Comb and Painted by me. Even tho its a "clone", we see it as more of a reimagination of the genre. its getting patched with unlockable birds, so keep a close eye on the eggs u can, if u even get that far:p

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.openmicgames.tippywings&hl=en

$_0000_Layer-2.png
    $_0001_Layer-1.png

Attached Files:

2. Jesse_Pixelsmith

Jesse_Pixelsmith

OMFG not another Flappy Bird clone I'm getting so sick of these! ... oh wait, this one is ours, never mind :)

In all seriousness yeah, this started out as kind of a joke, but evolved into something that I actually feel good at putting out there. Wanted to learn the tough lessons of mobile publishing on a very small game, rather than a large one I've been working for months on. Plus it was a great way to collaborate with Kai, and I think we work pretty well together :)

Coming to iOS soonish as well as getting Leaderboards, Unlockable Birds, FB/Twitter Integration, and Multiplayer (hopefully!)

3. sumogalaxy

sumogalaxy

I actually really love the graphics on this better than its counterpart ;)

4. Kelde

Kelde

Thats why we did this, basicly to try to make something so easy into something that looks like a "complete" game,kinda:p We're adding some neat features later, iOS should be out also like Jesse said in a while.

5. Haptix Games

Haptix Games

If a tree is cut in half, how does the top part not fall?

6. Kelde

Kelde

yeah thats a REALLY good question! its actually annoying me, gonna add bg's to them,i saw it in clumsy bird and it annoyed the hell out of me!

7. helioxfilm

helioxfilm

Seems Flappy clones are coming to indies, after all :cool: Congrats on the release! It is somehow makes devs happy if they can see a game finished in 1 week or so rather then spending years in development...

8. Marceta

Marceta

9. Heu

Heu

First thing that comes to mind about the game is the beautiful and lovely art. Great job!

10. Jesse_Pixelsmith

Jesse_Pixelsmith

@helioxfilm that is quite a motivator. Some games take years to develop, then get absorbed in all the noise that is the gaming press and the internet. If you're lucky, you get a flash in the pan of success, but even that is fleeting. Watching AAA studios like Irrational close (oh I'm sorry ... massively downsize) after a blockbuster success, or the new Tomb Raider selling millions of units and somehow not making their money back or meeting expectations shines a light on to how hard this market is for everyone.

I have dream projects I want to do, but also need to be realistic about getting there - these little games will help, and all profit from them goes to developing more compelling titles! And groceries.

11. ariyalion

ariyalion

Absolutely amazing art... and sweet animations... :) Good Job... Gave 5 stars...
    How long did it take for the Art?

12. helioxfilm

helioxfilm

Sure I know it very well. I just also released a kind of clone (Kelde knows it) as a side project of a much-much larger and longer project. It really makes us happy to something done quick :) The art is really nice in your game, congrats.

13. Fenrisul

Fenrisul

My only big critique is the "Flap" sound. It has a very high pitch twinge to it that annoys the hell out of my ears and sounds like a poor compression artifact when played on my Nexus 4's speakers. Just FYI.

14. Monkey Fritz

Monkey Fritz

So sick of these it's downright laughable. In that sort of maniacal, about to go postal kind of way.

But I can actually appreciate taking something simple and sickeningly common and making something artistic.

Good job. :)

15. Kelde

Kelde

I spent about 2 days on the art and animation if we are looking at working hours. I got my knees deep in several projects so it could have been one:p

16. Kelde

Kelde

Yeah on anothet phone it was like u describe, on my S3 and Tab 2 it sounds good. Maybe we can fix that Jesse?

17. Kelde

Kelde

Yeah i saw it,im glad i managed to turn u away from actually naming it what u planned, because i liked the looks of it too much to dive into that bucket with it:p

18. Ebil

Ebil

Now... when everybody has created his own flappy bird, I also want one! :D

19. 0tacun

0tacun

Really?

I'm am pretty disappointed from you... *sigh*

20. c-Row

c-Row

The whole Flappy Bird madness somehow completely went over me, but yours definitely stands out. :) Proof that you should neglect neither game mechanics nor presentation.

21. Kelde

Kelde

Seems u completely misunderstood the whole idea here. He was using Flappy in the title, and described it as a clone when i adviced him to aim alittle higher and kepe the same mechanic. As ive stated before, i was apporached to do this, i didnt design the game, i amde art for it.

That whole post was aimed at "Flappy", and what bothered me most was that the game looked great. What we did her was basicly what i told him to do,. make it ur own, not a direct clone (graphicswise and title)

Hope that clears it up.

22. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

Afterall, a direct clone with better graphics is totally different!

/rollseyes

23. Kelde

Kelde

Oh dont worry, its pretty common tl get mixed opinions, we knew that would happen. Its exacrly what u said, a clone with better graphics, atleast its a start if ur gonna clone something.

24. silkroadgame

silkroadgame

Even though it's copied,but your arts are much better than Flappy Bird.

25. Kelde

Kelde

That was pretty much the only goal we had:)

26. spraycanmansam

spraycanmansam

The dev did shoot himself in the foot a bit there, but to be fair I think both devs have made it clear that they were not simply jumping on the money train that is the 'flappy' craze. It seems like it was a chance to complete a small game fairly quickly as a learning experience, along with some high quality assets. I think Tippy Wings is far from a shameless money-grabbing clone.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  27. helioxfilm

helioxfilm

Well, my little diving game was also far from a shameless-money-grabbing clone -- just like here, much better art and totally different environment, and finally not even the title has anything similar to flappy. As observed by you, a little experiment, how to make a game in 1 week with quality assets, and not spending years in development. It was pure fun creating it -- and just to make clear: there is no money train :) Based on the last weeks income maybe I can buy a bear in a local pub, that's all :)

28. Garmalak

Garmalak

Made with love my arse

29. spraycanmansam

spraycanmansam

Sorry helioxfilm, I thought I remembered that post being in reference to another far lesser quality clone, not yours (let's be honest, it's hard to keep up with them all!) I have amended my comments above.

Personally I find the clones less annoying and it far more disappointing how quick some members of the community are to tear others work down. Fair enough for the lazy rip-offs, but when there's an obvious amount of effort put in, give the people credit.

Anyways, back to it devs, onwards and upwards to better things! :)

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
  30. Jesse_Pixelsmith

Jesse_Pixelsmith

Heh thanks for the good vibes :)

Right now working on Facebook integration - base system is working! (Meaning I can push and pull data to Facebook based on a user's friends). The idea is that you can have leaderboards based only on you and your FB friends. I will still probably have a Global leaderboard based on Google Play GS, but I feel the "local" ones are a lot more meaningful because you know who the people are that you're competing against.

Again, this has been a great project to do this in, lightweight, low stress - and then can use everything I learned about FB integration (for example) into any other game where it's relevant.

Same goes for unlockable characters (in this case, birds hatching from eggs you can collect now) and multiplayer - all slated for an update down the road!

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  31. helioxfilm

helioxfilm

Yep, I agree with you. This little game by Kelde and Jesse has really nice visuals, and I am happy to see that other devs are also recognized the advantage of making a small, low stress game. Much better than doing a pong-clone as a tutorial, heh? :) I wish them great success!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
  32. 0tacun

0tacun

Helioxfilm's game got pretty bad bashed when he presented it, even from Kelde which is at the moment also (in his own words)"poisining" the market :| . Both games do look good, just wanted to make the questionable fairness clear. Anything beside that I do not care.

I wish good luck everyone! Keep it up

33. cakegamer

cakegamer

may i point owt wan i fert saw this tred i come rite in her to say it a clone no mater wut you say sin i wus exspexting a hafe ass mad game but i like this it axshitly the best one i seen so far good job man it cusey it nice to look at and you did put love into it wall ill say i love it to

34. Autonoma

Autonoma

I have to admit, this is pretty incredible.

35. InkedGames

InkedGames

Beautiful artwork!

36. JayG81

JayG81

I don't think it's fair to rip on people who are making 'Flappy' clones at this point. It seems this whole phenomenon went in stages:

1) Lightning in a bottle with the original game.
    2) Clones to leech off the success of the original (most of them agreeably awful) to make money.
    3) Artistic renditions and "retellings" of the game--NOT for monetary reasons.
    3.5) Using a simplistic concept to learn how mobile market places, ad integration, and market APIs work without taking a major risk.
    4) Budding game designers learning the basics of programming and other aspects of game creation.

These new clones coming out are akin to the way comic book writers and artists reimagine old iconic characters. I also wouldn't agree that these are necessarily "poison". They are a stepping stone to bigger and better things and will help usher in future talent.

Before I even started making my clone, I knew it was going to get lost in the shuffle, I knew I was not going to make a cent off of it. However, I've garnered all this new experience from it, and, if somebody happens to find it and play it and leave me a review saying some to the effect of "I really like the graphics", then it was all worth it.

That's my two cents anyways...

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  37. OMGWare

OMGWare

I have to say Congratulations, the artwork really stands out, one of the best clones out there :)