Search Unity

Tip for OSX Mojave / MPB users.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by path14, Apr 2, 2019.

1. path14

path14

Hey y'all, this is just a random tip, because I've been optimizing my 2D game and couldn't figure out, until now, what the issue was.

I'm currently using a Macbook Pro 2015 with Unity 2018.2.18f1 and had some rendering/ fps issues (15fps) in the player compared to the high 200 fps I had in the editor. I had changed pretty much every setting possible and then I finally had the idea to uncheck 'auto graphics API for Mac', and left Metal at the top, with OpenGL second. I had tried this earlier, but assumed auto graphics to prioritize Metal (as it was at the top) over OpenGL, so first I pushed OpenGL to the top and tried that - which failed to fix the slow rendering issue.

So, if you have some rendering issues, it could be that the player is prioritizing OpenGL over Metal, so just uncheck auto graphics and make sure to prioritize Metal (i think this is especially important in OSX Mojave), and trust me, it makes a huge difference to render with Metal.

Anyway, that's it! Hopefully it helps someone as it did me. Happy developing! :)

DiscoFever, Ryiah and JoeStrout like this.