Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Tiny Unity and Profiler? Optimization tips?

Discussion in 'Project Tiny' started by leeham9, Jan 30, 2019.

1. leeham9

leeham9

Hi all,

I feel like the answer to this is no, but I was curious if Unity's profiler was compatible with Tiny Unity? I tried to get it to work when I ran my game, but it didn't seem to do anything (I even tried changing it from 'editor' to an ip address).

If it is compatible though, how do you get it to work?

Also are there any general optimization tips for Tiny Unity? I'm pretty new to ECS, and I've been forced to crunch to make a game with Tiny Unity, so I feel like I've been having trouble learning best practices, etc.

Any help would be appreciated!

2. abeisgreat

abeisgreat

Your best bet today is to dive into Chrome devtool's Performance tab where you can get really detailed information about your game.

Screenshot 2019-01-30 at 10.06.23 AM.png

This will expose time taken by both Tiny's runtime, browser methods, and your game code - so it can be a bit hard to parse, but the data is all there.

As an aside, make sure to profile the different builds (development, release, etc) separately as they'll have different performance characteristics. Specifically, I'd expect the development build to have dramatically worse performance if it's connected to the hot-reload server as there's some issue there which causes the page to thrash.

leeham9 likes this.
  3. leeham9

leeham9

Oh wow, I had no idea about that. That's exactly what I needed! Thanks again! :)

4. vikpek

vikpek

Hello,
    has anyone the issue that the tiny game instantly crashes once the profiler recording starts in Chrome? (screenshot 1) I have the same issue for Firefox. There is no proper error message. But the profiler is tracking the first screen: When I stop the recording session - then the game start running again and the profiler loads the data. (screenshot 2)

2019-07-10 16_18_55-CasualClassicTiny - Brave.png 2019-07-10 16_21_37-Telegram.png