Search Unity

Tiny Physics Player Controller modification

Discussion in 'Project Tiny' started by Scuro247, Feb 24, 2021.

1. Scuro247

Scuro247

Hello everyone,

I recently started working with ECS and Tiny. I love Project Tiny and I really appreciate it being open source! Thanks a lot!

Currently, I am trying to modify the Tiny Physics player controller. I want to get something like this third-person controller [1] but in a less advanced way. It is very important for me to do everything in pure ECS, to get some experience, and have good performing code.

The first milestone I want to reach is to make the camera follow the player and move around it by moving the mouse. Therefore I added the following components:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. using Unity.Entities;
    2. using Unity.Tiny.Input;
    3. using Unity.Tiny.Rendering;
    4. using Unity.Mathematics;
    5. using Unity.Transforms;
    7. namespace TinyPhysics.Systems
    8. {
    9.     [UpdateBefore(typeof(CameraMovementSystem))]
    10.     public class RotateWithMouseSystem: SystemBase
    11.     {
    12.         protected override void OnUpdate()
    13.         {
    14.              InputSystem input = World.GetExistingSystem<InputSystem>();
    15.             ScreenToWorld s2w = World.GetExistingSystem<ScreenToWorld>();
    16.             float2 inputPos = input.GetInputPosition();
    17.             float3 cursorPos = s2w.InputPosToWorldSpacePos(inputPos, 4.0f);
    19.             // calculate look direcction vector
    20.             Entities.ForEach((ref CameraMoveable moveable, ref Translation position, ref LocalToWorld localToWorld) =>
    21.             {
    22.                 float3 lookDirection = cursorPos + position.Value;
    23.                 quaternion lookRotation = quaternion.LookRotation(lookDirection, localToWorld.Up);
    24.                 moveable.rotation = new quaternion(lookRotation.value.x, lookRotation.value.y, 0, lookRotation.value.w);
    25.             }).ScheduleParallel();
    26.         }
    27.     }
    28. }
    Code (CSharp):
    1. using Unity.Entities;
    2. using Unity.Mathematics;
    4. namespace TinyPhysics
    5. {
    6.     [GenerateAuthoringComponent]
    7.     public struct CameraMoveable : IComponentData
    8.     {
    9.         public quaternion rotation;
    10.         public float3 positionOffset;
    11.         public float3 position;
    12.         public Entity entityToFollow;
    13.     }
    14. }
    Code (CSharp):
    1. using Unity.Entities;
    2. using Unity.Mathematics;
    3. using Unity.Physics;
    4. using Unity.Physics.Extensions;
    5. using Unity.Transforms;
    7. namespace TinyPhysics.Systems
    8. {
    9.     public class CameraMovementSystem : SystemBase
    10.     {
    11.         // EntityManager manager = World.DefaultGameObjectInjectionWorld.EntityManager;
    12.         protected override void OnUpdate()
    13.         {
    14.             float deltaTime = Time.DeltaTime;
    16.             Entities.ForEach((ref CameraMoveable moveable, ref Rotation rotation, ref Translation position, ref LocalToWorld localToWorld) =>
    17.             {
    18.                 // rotate camera
    19.                 if (moveable.rotation.value.y != 0)
    20.                 {
    21.                     // rotation to world: localToWorld.Rotation
    22.                     quaternion rotation_world = localToWorld.Rotation;
    23.                     rotation.Value = moveable.rotation;
    24.                 }
    26.                 //// move camera
    27.                 //if (true)
    28.                 //{
    29.                 //    Translation entPos = manager.GetComponentData<Translation>(moveable.entityToFollow);
    30.                 //    position.Value = entPos.Value + moveable.positionOffset;
    31.                 //}
    33.             }).ScheduleParallel();
    34.         }
    35.     }
    36. }
    As you can see my code has not been finished, yet. ;)

One of the problems I have is that I am not able to calculate a proper lookDirection for my camera. Answer #4 in this thread [2] stated how to calculate the position of the cursor in the world space. I thought subtracting it from the current position of the camera should give me a direction where the camera should look. But this doesn't work at all. I think I got something wrong here. May someone enlighten me on this matter?

Another problem I am having is that I cant make the camera follow the player entity. This video tutorial [3] illustrates how to set up a camera to follow an entity. The problem I am having here is that I can not access the position of the entity to follow. I wanted to use
    GetComponentData<Translation>
    to get the position but this only works with .WithoutBurst().Run() instead of ScheduleParallel() in the ForEach loop. Is there a way to get the current position of an entity in a more performant way? Or is there another solution to solve this problem?

As you can see I am new to ECS and I really appreciate any help! Thanks in advance!

Cheers
    scuro

[1] https://assetstore.unity.com/packag...person-controller-basic-locomotion-free-82048
    [2] https://forum.unity.com/threads/cant-get-camera-point-to-ray-in-tiny.917249/#post-6049001
    [3] youtube.com/watch?v=JFv49-0vy_

2. AbdulAlgharbi

AbdulAlgharbi

Unity Technologies

3. Scuro247

Scuro247

Hey Abdul!
    Thank you for your quick reply! Exactly what I was looking for. I will keep you updated on how it worked out.

AbdulAlgharbi likes this.
unityunity