Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Tiny on .net core for servers

Discussion in 'Project Tiny' started by snacktime, Apr 20, 2020.

1. snacktime

snacktime

It's been said tiny can run on .net core. The solution generator creates a .net framework console app.

Is it just a case of supporting project generation for .net core isn't there yet?

Actually for a server an option to build tiny entirely as a library and have an entry point to call from your own .net core app would be preferable for some. Which is possible even if not directly supported, but direct support would be a nice to have.

Not sure how IL2CPP figures in there, but if you are running .net core not sure you would even want IL2CPP?

2. snacktime

snacktime

I got it running under a separate .net core solution without any issues. So that answers the main question.

Ideal way to integrate the codegen is a bit less clear. If you are using .net core chances are you aren't living within .net standard 2 limitations, a good chunk of .net core server centric libraries don't do that. So the codegen almost has to reside in your permanent .net core solution.

But that's all doable obviously. Pretty cool what is possible now.

Thaina likes this.
  3. snacktime

snacktime

I did end up hitting a pretty hard blocking issue. Which is UnityEngine.dll that we reference in a good amount of shared code. Specifically with types that both Tiny and UnityEngine both have. Mostly attributes. Some would be less common cases, but some would be fairly common to see. Like data structures defined in shared libraries. Numerous attributes that matter for editing. Less common stuff like NativeDisableUnsafePtrRestrictionAttribute that we use fairly liberally for unsafe pointers. Misc others like NativeArray that I could get rid of fairly easily.

I would guess that long term you guys would probably move some of that out of UnityEngine. But the whole approach Tiny takes there makes me a bit nervous. As long as it's a thing it's a potential minefield that could bite us months down the road.

4. Deleted User

Deleted User

Do you have details of how you got even this far? My project is new, so I'm considering exploring a similar notion.