Search Unity

Tiny ECS Api

Discussion in 'Entity Component System' started by nventimiglia, Dec 11, 2018.

1. nventimiglia

nventimiglia

I just completed the tiny ecs demonstration videos. It looks great, solving many of usability concerns I had with the current Unity Ecs system. The addition of entity groups, entity filters, and behaviors were super. The ability to drop entities in the editor was also great.

Can we expect the main unity ecs branch to 'catch up' with the feature set to catch up with tiny ecs ?

2. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

We are planning to merge the two products into one scalable from tiny <-> large production Unity with the same codebase & editing tools

3. orb

orb

That's all we want for xmas ;)

rigidbuddy and Lurking-Ninja like this.
  4. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

in that case xmas will come late... But in any case shouldn't be too long.

5. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

@Joachim_Ante I'm actually curious, once the ECS editor tools for scene building etc will arrive (for "full" ECS), how do we deal with hybrid ECS at that point? We'll still need bunch of systems from old Unity API for years for most games so that has to work somehow. So mainly curious now how that will be handled? Will there be some EntityGameObject setup to work in the opposite direction?

6. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

Megacity was done with game object editing, converted into entities on a per-scene basis. We were also pretty happy with that approach so we will also release workflows for that early next year.

So we are doing both.

7. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

Oh, I'm actually thinking something different. Imagine you need physx rigidbodies or some other system that doesn't exist in current ECS space. There's no ECS physics at this point so you need physics system from elsewhere. If you have only ECS related things in the new editor layout, how do you bring in gameobjects/monobehaviors if there's no bridge for them? On current scene layout we got the bridge from old->entities through GameObjectEntity.

I get that Megacity was built using old scene editor and structures were converted to be entities on the final thing but that doesn't need to bring the actual monobehavior functionality along to ECS side (or do you actually have system for that?) and since you are not overriding the editors scene structure, you can still keep the hybrids for input etc.

So what I'm really wondering, when we actually get the ECS specific editor for "full" ECS, will there be a way to put old monobehaviors to it in any way or do you let users running both editor layouts in parallel or what? (this could be confusing). Looking at Tiny, it looks like it completely replaces the regular scene setup and saves on it's own format, I don't see any entry point for gameobjects there.

Basically if there's no way to do hybrid on ECS scene editing, it means you'd have to do pure ECS all the way and we all know there's tons of systems missing before that can happen for most people.

8. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

The new entity editor is for pure entities only it will not know what a game object is.

The existing editor will be improved and handle hybrid mode better as we release megacity project folder.

dzamani, Zoey_O, Vacummus and 5 others like this.