Search Unity

Tiny Car Controller - official thread

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by DavidJayIndie, Mar 24, 2020.

1. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Thanks for the update!

DavidJayIndie likes this.
  2. oidafux

oidafux

Hello,

how would I make the forward input the Right Trigger on my x-box controller?

Thank You,
    Michael

3. oidafux

oidafux

Sorry, I'm new to Unity. I wanted to use my new Blender-skills for a car game, and here comes the next challenge. ;-)

DavidJayIndie likes this.
  4. DavidJayIndie

DavidJayIndie

I sent you a pm :)

5. xpxilom

xpxilom

https://bruno-simon.com/

You can add camera blur

And also the antenna moving? Soft body or something like that from the antenna.

6. joshmamo

joshmamo

Hi,
    Thanks for creating this asset, I am loving it.

I am having an issue where the car jumps up when it passes over the joint between 2 meshes, even if the 2 meshes are perfectly aligned and level.
    Any ideas how to fix this?

Also I noticed above you pm someone about "how would I make the forward input the Right Trigger on my x-box controller?"
    I would also like to do this so if you could forward that to me that would be great.

Thanks
    Josh

7. DavidJayIndie

DavidJayIndie

Regarding the xbox controller, the xbox triggers are the 9th and 10th gamepad axis in Unity. You would first need to add them to Unity's input manager, and then change the values accordingly in the "Tiny Car Standard Input" script.

Regarding the jumps when going over two meshes, this is unfortunately a downside of the method used to program this controller. You can try changing the values of the “Default Contact Offset” parameter in the Physics tab of the Project Settings to minimize the effects of “ghost collisions”. Ideally, this controller works best on connected meshes.

8. Abba13

Abba13

Hi, I just purchased this asset because I thought it was cool ,
    but i haven't been able to download it. Any idea why?

Attached Files:

9. DavidJayIndie

DavidJayIndie

I have not the slightest idea unfortunately. I hope you've been able to find a solution since, but if not, I'd recommend contacting the unity support.

10. DavidJayIndie

DavidJayIndie

Hey there, sorry for the lack of response, life has been hectic lately.

I'm still working on Tiny Car Controller, a new update should come in June as a matter of fact, hopefully. It will address some bugs in the current version and add a few new features, including a script to add sound effects, which I've had a lot of demands for. In the meantime, thanks a lot for your support, it means a lot!

sabanmete likes this.
  11. DavidJayIndie

DavidJayIndie

Version 1.6 is now available, it adds a script for audio events, and fixes a couple minor bugs. It's not much, but the current system is getting pretty hard to fix and improve, I have to admit.

Eventually I want to add a big new feature though; wheel colliders. I can't say when it's coming, but it's on my backlog.

12. yasirkula

yasirkula

Do you think it is possible to change the sphere collider with a capsule collider? Sphere collider isn't suitable for most cars and adding a Box Collider to the car doesn't really work well. For example, if I add a Box Collider to the demo scene's Car Controller, I can't move over the bumps or climb the ramp.

Attached Files:

13. DavidJayIndie

DavidJayIndie

Yes, that's an issue with the way this controller is built, and I'm afraid there's no real workaround. A capsule wouldn't work because unlike a sphere, you can't rotate a capsule without changing its bounding box, which the physics in my controller relies on.

However, I've been working on a different controller where each wheel has its own collider, therefore allowing the creation of any wheeled vehicle of any size. It's currently pending review and I unfortunately don't have an ETA at this time, though.

14. relsqui

relsqui

Are the SFX and particles in the demo also available assets somewhere? They feel great with the car/controller.

15. DavidJayIndie

DavidJayIndie

Unfortunately no, I only made those specifically for the demo scene. I have no plans to make more audio or visual effects at this time.

16. relsqui

relsqui

Aw. That's understandable, but I wasn't actually looking for anything additional; I'd love to use some of what's there as-is, but wasn't sure if it was included in the license for the controller package. Would you consider allowing that, or making a separate agreement about it (perhaps explicitly excluding ongoing support)?

17. DavidJayIndie

DavidJayIndie

Ah I see! Well, nothing's stopping you from using those assets, they're included in the same license.

18. relsqui

relsqui

Oh lovely! That's what I was wondering (but if it was technically included and not your intent I care about that too). Thanks!

19. titoasty

titoasty

Hi!

I have two questions:
    • What are the main differences between Tiny Car Controller and Tiny Car Controller Advance ?
    • Do cars stick to moving platforms?
    Thanks for your answers

20. Artini

Artini

Yes, please answer this question. I am interested too in differences.

21. tgoldstone

tgoldstone

Hi.

I've purchased the Advance controller and cannot figure out how to stop the car (or any of the example cars) from spinning. It's almost impossible to drive in a straight line without spinning. How do I fix this? I tried setting the ground friction or the wheel friction to a high value, which helps but messes the braking up.

Any ideas? Thanks.

22. cordmeister

cordmeister

Hi, I was wondering if there's a trick to getting two input sets working for 2-player local split-screen. If someone has tackled this in the past, I'd love to hear your solution. Thanks in advance for the help!

23. gearedgeek

gearedgeek

Any thoughts about integration with Rewired?

24. zaydola

zaydola

where is the keybind script for this car

25. gearedgeek

gearedgeek

Is the asset still being supported? If so I'm having an issue with the vehicle having a jerky motion when moving forward. Not sure what is causing it.

26. DavidJayIndie

DavidJayIndie

Sorry for not responding for so long, life got in the way. I do still take support requests for TCC but only if it's related to a bug with my own code. I unfortunately can't help you if it's related to integration within your own project.

If you're convinced there's a problem that originates from my code, you can send me an email at jalbert.d@hotmail.com , and I'll do my best to help.

27. DavidJayIndie

DavidJayIndie

The wobbling and instability of the initial TCCA was too much for most uses, so I've been trying to come up with a new controller that combines the best of both TCC and TCCA. More to come soon.

View wip demo on imgur: https://imgur.com/a/EFRhh0g

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  28. Jos-Yule

Jos-Yule

@DavidJayIndie Hello! I own the Tiny Car Controller, and am looking at the advanced version, but have a question -- how can _external_ rigidbodies influence/affect the cars? They push and interact with "regular" RBs fine, but they do not (seem) to have any impact on other cars (multiplayer) or be affected by "regular" RBs... Maybe i'm just doing it wrong?

xpxilom likes this.
  29. DavidJayIndie

DavidJayIndie

I'm not entirely sure, I never tried the controller in a multiplayer setting. I did receive multiple comments saying how it seems to not work properly in multiplayer, though. In any case, I'm sincerely sorry about that.

For the time being, for anybody who didn't buy the package yet and were looking to implement it in a multiplayer game, I'd suggest looking for a different controller.