Search Unity

Question Timeline untargets certain animations

Discussion in 'Timeline' started by Enigma229, Jul 19, 2021.

1. Enigma229

Enigma229

We are having an issue with some timelines where some animations get un-targeted.

This is happening after someone pushes to Source Tree.

Any ideas?

2. DavidGeoffroy

DavidGeoffroy

Unity Technologies

Someone has probably overwritten the scene files where the bindings between the Timeline and the PlayableDirector are stored.

Or if the Timelines are part of prefab, someone probably has overwritten the prefab files.

3. Enigma229

Enigma229

Thanks for replying so fast.

The timelines are in a prefab and not connected to a scene file.

I thought that timeline playable files in a prefab are independent of a prefab and a change to the prefab wouldn't affect the timeline.

4. DavidGeoffroy

DavidGeoffroy

Unity Technologies

Timeline Assets (or any assets really) cannot refer to GameObjects (in scenes or in prefabs). So the bindings must be stored in a PlayableDirector somewhere.

In the case of the Timeline in a prefab, the bindings are held by the PlayableDirector in the prefab.

5. Enigma229

Enigma229

I got a game object with a Playable Director that links to the Timeline playable file within the prefab.

It's not every prefab with a nested Playable Director game object that things get untargeted. I just don't know why it's a specific prefab when all the settings inside and out are the same.

6. DavidGeoffroy

DavidGeoffroy

Unity Technologies

If you can isolate a pattern and provide us with the files in a bug report, we'll be happy to look at it.

Without more data, my best guesses are:
    • Someone overwrote the bindings because only the Timeline was committed, and not the prefab.
    • The bindings were saved in the scene as overrides, and not applied to the prefab asset.
    Otherwise, it may well be a bug, in which case your bug report would be much appreciated.