Search Unity

Feedback Timeline Track Offsets namings are not intuitive (Apply Scene Offsets, Apply Transform Offsets)

Discussion in 'Timeline' started by c0ffeeartc, Aug 3, 2019.

1. c0ffeeartc

c0ffeeartc

When working for the first time with timeline Track Offsets - `Apply Scene Offsets` and `Apply Transform Offsets` in AnimationTrack gave me a lot of frustration.
    Documentation doesn't mention them yet.
    After digging through forum, creating separate sandbox project and playing around with simple animations and timeline I got better grasp of their meaning. Please correct me if I make mistake in explanation.

First problem I'd say that `Scene Offset` term is misleading since it's talking about Transform's world position, and `Transform Offset` is ambiguous because it's not clear whether it's local or world transform values.
    I would suggest using terms something like "World Transform Offsets", "Local Transform Offsets".

Second problem is `Apply` meaning.
    In `Apply Scene Offsets` it reads current local position and adds this offset to track clips. As a result, bound object moves from same world position at first frame.
    In `Apply Transform Offsets` it adds user defined offset to track clips. As a result, bound object's transform.localPosition is set to the offset values at first frame (and may look like bound object teleported).
    By the behavior of `Apply` options could be renamed to `Read Local Transform Offsets` and `Set Local Transform Offsets`.
    If `Apply` can't be changed to better alternative my request would be to provide some infobox in inspector better describing how selected option influences animation.

Thanks

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
  2. seant_unity

seant_unity

Unity Technologies

Thanks for the feedback, I will pass it on.