Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Ever participated in one our Game Jams? Want pointers on your project? Our Evangelists will be available on Friday to give feedback. Come share your games with us!
    Dismiss Notice

Timeline track names not unique ?

Discussion in 'Timeline' started by Kiupe, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Kiupe

Kiupe

Hi guys,

I noticed that in one Timeline multiple tracks can have the same name. Do you confirm it is the expected behavior ?

Thanks

2. seant_unity

seant_unity

Unity Technologies

Yes, they can have the same name.

3. Kiupe

Kiupe

Ok, so if I want to get an unique information about a track I could use the PlayableBinding.sourceObject.GetInstanceID() ?

4. mathiastg

mathiastg

You could give them unique names and use that to get specific information about a track.

5. seant_unity

seant_unity

Unity Technologies

Yes, in the case of timeline, the source object is actually a reference to the track.

6. Kiupe

Kiupe

Hum, how are those IDs created ? I tried to use those IDs in order to "save" Timeline scene cross-references but when I open the project in an other computer an ID for a same Track (source object) it's not the same as on my computer. Is that normal ?

Thanks

7. seant_unity

seant_unity

Unity Technologies

InstanceIDs can change between runs of the editor. You should use a UnityEngine.Object field directly to store the reference, instead of an int.

Tracks are assets, so a reference to them can be stored from any scene.

8. Kiupe

Kiupe

Ho, thank for the tips !

unityunity