Search Unity

Timeline Shortcuts?

Discussion in 'Timeline' started by spuddy93, May 6, 2021.

1. spuddy93

spuddy93

Hi there, we have quite a few cutscenes in our game so I am using the Timeline pretty often. My question is if anyone knows of any quality of life features or where to find a list of some? I'm looking for things like:

• Keyboard shortcuts for common actions.

• Is there a way to move these nodes more precisely? Can I hold a key to lock dragging to only the vertical or horizontal axes?
    upload_2021-5-6_11-54-41.png

• Is there a way to instantaneously change a transform? Like prevent it from sliding from (0, 0, 0) to (10, 4, 0) and instead just immediately jumping or teleporting between the two?

• And anything else that might be helpful that you or someone else has discovered in timeline's functionality.

Also, if somebody has already asked a similar question, I would be more than happy to take a pointer to that place. I've searched a few different keyword combos for awhile now and haven't been able to find what I am looking for.

2. M4dR0b

M4dR0b

If you select a node, you can then hold shift and move up/down, or right/left it will lock on the vertical or horizontal axis.

Right click on a node should open up a menu with the tangents options, there should be one that says "stepped", or if is not there, you can just put another key with the same value of the first one the frame before the last one. This way it will hold the values for the time you specified and then change suddenly.

Timeline is a powerful tool to make in-game cinematics, if you look for "Unity Timeline tutorial" on google you canh find plenty.

This is one from Brakeys

Shortcuts I'm not aware of any.

spuddy93 likes this.
  3. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

the most helpful advise I wish someone gave me is to stay away from timeline.
    It ate up weeks of production hunting down arcane timing bugs only to realize that it's not dependable in build and ended up rendering the sequence offline to a video clip (which has other problems thanks to aforementioned timing bugs).

4. M4dR0b

M4dR0b

lol, I find it useful for quick/short cutscenes.

Just throwing some guesses, could it be that the timeline was struggling 'cause of frame rate spikes, or other performances related problems?

5. DavidGeoffroy

DavidGeoffroy

Unity Technologies

Most of the Timeline shortcuts are rebindable in the shortcut manager, and they can be found in the Timeline section

spuddy93 and M4dR0b like this.
  6. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

I wish it were that easy but nope, those are timing bugs, they're in the process of fixing but historically timing issues are deep and take a long time. Source: beOS lost audio video sync with their MM engineer and that took 2 years to fix.