Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Timeline, save project: Object moved away

Discussion in 'Timeline' started by jayanam_games, Jul 14, 2017.

1. jayanam_games

jayanam_games

Hi guys,

I have the following setup: A timeline with 1 cinemachine camera shot. Then I drag a cube into the timeline and record an animation with 2 key frames. In the first I moved the cube slightly to record it's position, the second one is at about 2 seconds, there I moved the cube to a different position, so very basic. Everything is executed correctly, the cube moves to a new position.

Then I save the project, haven't the timeline editor open anymore and I would expect that the cube is located were I added it to the scene but it is moved to somewhere in the scene. When I open Timeline editor again the cube is moved to the first keyframe I added... so big confusion here, am I the only one who has this bug?

Thx and cheers
    Jay

2. seant_unity

seant_unity

Unity Technologies

This sounds like a bug, can you submit it with the repro steps you describe?

3. jayanam_games

jayanam_games

Hi, were can I submit it.

The problem occurs with my animated character I created with Blender.

I thought it could be the animations of the guy, but the I removed the whole amature but it still happens.

1. Drag character into scene
    2. Select character and in timeline create new.
    3. Record some movement in timeline for the character.
    4. Press Start: Animation play, ok.
    5. Stop. Select other tab than Timeline, save project => character disappears. Z translate value is still corretc but x and y reset to 0,

Cheers
    Jay

4. seant_unity

seant_unity

Unity Technologies

I'm trying to reproduce the issue without any luck, so let me see if I can clarify. This is what I'm trying

1. Create cube, set the position of the cube to 1,1,1.
    ^ 1,1,1 should be the default scene value
    2. Select character and in timeline create new
    3. Record positional animation from 0,0,0 to -1,-1,-1
    4. Press start (tried both timeline editor and playmode versions).
    5. Stop.
    6. Select other tab and save.
    7. Cube goes back to 1,1,1 <- the default scene values (expected behaviour)
    8. Switch back to timeline <- the 'preview' kicks in and the cube goes 0,0,0

In the inspector, the blue background on a property indicates the value is being 'driven' and is not overwriting scene values. You can turn off the Preview button in Timeline to see what the default values are.

Did I get those repro steps correct, or did I miss something?

5. jayanam_games

jayanam_games

I also can't reproduce with the Unity objects, just with my models I created with Blender. As I said I also removed the armature of my character but still happens. Perhaps I can send you the character to reproduce? In the meantime I can try to reproduce with a different character.

Where to I send the model to?

Edit: Ok, just reproduced, happens with all my blender characters, that work well with Unity and mecanim, but as soon as I put them to a timeline and move them, then save the project, they are located "somewhere".

And here I recorderd a short movie on what happens my dog when moving him:
    http://jayanam.com/img/etw/unity_2017_move_bug.mp4

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
  6. jayanam_games

jayanam_games

7. jayanam_games

jayanam_games

And happens with normal camera that you move as well!

1. Put a normal camera to a timeline, record some animations (moving)
    2. Stop recording, move in timeline to a certain position
    3. Leave the timeline tab to project e.g.
    4. Start the scene.

Camera is move to different position in your scene (x set to 0 e.g.)

When I leave the timeline tab, the camera transform still has this blue background in the textfields for x, y, z. When I save then, x is set to 0.

8. seant_unity

seant_unity

Unity Technologies

Ah right, the camera does reproduce the problem. I've filed an issue, and we will get a fix asap!

Thanks for catching that. If you want to file a different bug for your character (Help -> Troubleshoot Issue....) we can verify the fix works for your character too.

9. jayanam_games

jayanam_games

Hi and thx for the answer, great you could reproduce.

1. Can I add troubleshoot issue in Unity directly via Help->Troubleshoot and attach my character tehre?
    2. How do I get to know when the fix is done?

Cheers
    Jay

10. seant_unity

seant_unity

Unity Technologies

1. Yes!!!
    2. It will create a public visible issue in our issue tracker and it's status will be updated.

11. jayanam_games

jayanam_games

Alright thx, any timeline when the Camera bug will be fixed, have the feeling it is the same thing as the character that moves away.

12. seant_unity

seant_unity

Unity Technologies

No, I wish I could give a timeframe for a fix, but I don't know the root cause yet, and we've got some higher priority bugs ahead of it.

13. jayanam_games

jayanam_games

This whole feature is just not useable when this isn't fixed, all my characters are just moved away as soon as I stopped the playmode. Then they get persisted and the whole scene is destroyed, it's a killer.

14. Matt3D

Matt3D

I am also having this issue, good to see its been logged as a bug already.

As a temporary fix, I wrote a custom editor script that allows me to copy and paste an objects transform.
    I open up timeline with preview mode, Copy the position where the character is correctly. Close timeline (the character moves elsewhere), and then Paste.

This fixes their position and pressing play mode everything plays back as expected.

15. jayanam_games

jayanam_games

Did you check the videos I posted, because in a mail you told me that you can't reproduce, here you told me you can with the camera, I get it for very object I export with Blender. Please check the videos I posted here and the email I sent! I also added a bug report and connected with this post here.

Cheers
    Jay

16. tezza2k1

tezza2k1

Also having precisely this issue with v2017.2.0b5 beta 1st August.

When stopping the timeline the object has moved from the source location.

17. seant_unity

seant_unity

Unity Technologies

Got it, thanks for the detailed info. There is a fix in flight.

18. ken12cb

ken12cb

19. ken12cb

ken12cb

I have had all of the same problems listed above under fraghalt.....including the body of the 3d model getting twisted..I have tryed every thing that I can think of including moving my scene to the new location that the model is sent to, normally (0,0,0). When I tryed this the model was then relocating back to the original transform posititon that it was supposed to be at to begin with....I am with fraghalt on this...the entire timeline is useless until this bug is fixed...