Search Unity

Timeline resets character’s position at the start of every new animation.

Discussion in 'Animation' started by daniel_lochner, Jun 4, 2020.

1. daniel_lochner

daniel_lochner

Hi there,

All I need is for animations to play from the position the previous animation ended!

This feels like it should be the default behaviour, but I just can’t seem to figure out what’s wrong?

Before, I used a hacky solution by setting the offset position of each animation (to make it look as if animations carried on from the previous position) however with larger timeline sequences, this approach just isn’t viable anymore.

Simply put, my character needs to walk forwards and then perform an action at the position he has walked to.

Thank you for your help!

SuperDope and SamRock like this.
  2. BullDoze

BullDoze

I have the same problem: an animation containing root motion jumps back at the end of the clip. I saw an option in a tutorial on youtube that explained that you need to set a switch in the model's animation tab to get Unity to reset the starting motion to the current position, i.e. to use sort of a "relative" movement.
    However that switch seems to have disappeared by the time we reached Unity 19.x. So my model moves forward and then jumps back :-( And I haven't been able to find any mention in the Unity docs either.

3. Wappydog

Wappydog

Hi all.
    When adding clips after your first animation clip in your timeline - right click the following clip and select 'Match offset to previous clip'. This connects the animation clips smoothly. You can overlap animation clips to have Unity create transitions between your animations if you need that.
    Hope this helps.

Farosteiro and SuperDope like this.
  4. BullDoze

BullDoze

Hi, just saw your reply.. many thx I will look into that nd get back here with feedback :)

5. SuperDope

SuperDope

I'm not sure what's going wrong but I did what you said and it shows that the offset has been changed BUT it still makes my character hop back into the start position. I even blended them and unblended them, not sure what else to do.

zalogic likes this.
  6. ShiningMichal

ShiningMichal

I found the solution. Select Animation Track and change in inspector "Track Offset" to "Apply Scene Offsets". Now my character stay in position where I puted on scene.
    upload_2022-1-30_0-52-14.png

7. mfatihbarut

mfatihbarut

thank you verymuch appreciated.

8. BaraX94

BaraX94

Can You please tell me where i can get to that option

9. SuleimanAbdullah

SuleimanAbdullah

I didn't find that option too so I use an empty game object and put my character there then rotate the parent where I want, I know it may not be a better solution but I hope it helps.
    [Solved]I found the right way to solve this if you are using unity 2021.3 and above, select your animation clip then go to the inspector you will find the option Clip Transform Offset, there you will be able to adjust the rotation and position of your character, and the timeline won't reset when you play timeline or editor

Last edited: Jan 21, 2023
  10. ShiningMichal

ShiningMichal

In Timeline window click on track which you want change Track Offset. Now you be able to see in inspector that option.

SuleimanAbdullah likes this.
  11. SuleimanAbdullah

SuleimanAbdullah

Thanks, I figured out that option in the timeline I was about to edit my comment, but thanks for helping

12. BatmanNinja91

BatmanNinja91

For me I was not clicking in place when downloading animations from Milano that were moving animations.

with in place checked then downloaded it worked.