Search Unity

1. We are migrating the Unity Forums to Unity Discussions. On July 12, the Unity Forums will become read-only. On July 15, Unity Discussions will become read-only until July 18, when the new design and the migrated forum contents will go live. Read our full announcement for more information and let us know if you have any questions.

Timeline playhead doesn't move on Play

Discussion in 'Timeline' started by inkfish, Jan 23, 2021.

1. inkfish

inkfish

Hi i have had this issue for a very long time and can't believe no one else has brought it up. I cant find anything online or in this forum regarding the issue of the Timeline playhead not moving and playing the scene as a whole.

The fix for this is to simply change the workspace. Whenever i have this issue i just change to another workspace and it then works, however having to do taht each and every time i wish to preview my animations at runtime is becoming impossible, as it requires all the panels to be set up and locked again.

I'm wondering am i the only person experiencing this? I am using the latest version of Unity and this has been happening at least for the last 4 releases. I am using a mix of clips wholly stored within the timeline asset itself and other clips that are clips in tehir own right but imported into the timeline.

Heres a still of the editor in playmode but the timeline head not moving.
    https://swel.eu/storage/app/media/about/unity.png

Any help much appreciated,
    Regards
    Mal

Lomyta and sarahnorthway like this.
  2. DavidGeoffroy

DavidGeoffroy

Unity Technologies

I'm not familiar with this issue.
    So here are a few questions that could help us diagnose this:
    1. Have you filled a bug report? Having access to your exact problem is the best way to fix your issue.
    2. What do you mean by changing workspaces?
    3. Can you narrow down which versions of the editor?
    4. Can you narrow down which versions of Timeline?
    5. Have you updated Timeline or only the editor?
    6. Are there warnings in the console?
    7. Are there errors in the console?
    8. What are you doing when it stops working?
    9. Have you tried locking and unlocking the Timeline window?

3. DavidGeoffroy

DavidGeoffroy

Unity Technologies

Look for the Animation window, as it may still be holding on to the preview. Closing the Animation Window may unblock your Timeline

4. inkfish

inkfish

Hi David, sorry for not replying... I just seen this response in my spam and have now unblocked. This problem always occurs and is something i believe Unity should investigate. I will upload a video showing the issue as it occurs often.

Regarding your latest response I'm not entirely sure what you mean. I have tried turning on/off preview many times in the timeline and sometimes that works, but most of the time it makes no difference and the only way i am able to run the animation is by changing workspace. I'll aim to upload the video this week so u can confirm.

Many thanks

5. DavidGeoffroy

DavidGeoffroy

Unity Technologies

This is me investigating :)

If you can answer these questions, it will help us narrow down how that happened, and if it corresponds with another issue that may have already been reported or fixed.

If you have used the Animation Window to edit an Animation Clip in Timeline, then it might be stuck in preview, and be preventing the Timeline from playing because it is still actively editing a clip. If you can tell me if this works to unblock your Timeline, then it will help narrow down the issue.

6. inkfish

inkfish

:) sorry yes i should have answered those questions...

1) how do i do that? Is that a form or in the editor itself?
    2) in the editor > Layout (top right) > select a layout
    3) The same issue has occurred for me in editors 2020.1.12F1, 2020.1.13f1 and 2020.1.17f1 it could be a problem in others but ive only used those.
    4) I don't know how to answer this...
    5) Only the editor, i didn't realise Timeline can be updated. Via package manager? will try this!
    6) No warnings. It simply doesn't play, the playhead remains stuck on the 1st frame and doesn't move.
    7) No console errors.
    8) I'm pressing the play button to see the animation run but it fails unless i reset the layout/ workspace first.
    9) Yes many times.

I will be working on my animation later on in the day and will also follow up wth a video of the issue. In the meantime i hope that helps.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
  7. DavidGeoffroy

DavidGeoffroy

Unity Technologies

1)https://unity3d.com/unity/qa/bug-reporting
    4) You can check which version you have in the package manager.

There was a bug introduced a few months ago where when you go to playmode after opening a clip in the Animation Window, the Animation Window clears its selection but doesn't notify Timeline that it has done so. The Timeline is expecting the Animation Window to be in charge of the Animation Preview, but the Animation Window is off doing other things...

A fix is coming, but in the meantime, a workaround is to go close the Animation Window and restart playmode. Changing your Layout does exactly that: it closes all open windows and creates new ones.

If closing the Window (temporarily) fixes your issue, then it is likely that it is the same issue. That said, if you report a bug, you will be able to keep track of whether your bug has been fixed, and know where it has been fixed.

8. inkfish

inkfish

9. inkfish

inkfish

I realise after playing back the video i never demonstrated what happens at runtime... but you can take my word for it (or i can upload another vid?) that the playhead remains stationary although any scripts i have in the scene are still executed.

Happy to do a screenshare in Skype/ Hangouts if it will help?

Thanks

Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
  10. inkfish

inkfish

11. DavidGeoffroy

DavidGeoffroy

Unity Technologies

Thanks for taking the time to report this and making a video.

I don't think a call will be necessary. This looks very similar to another bug that was filed.
    The bug number is 1315060. It doesn't seem to be currently available on issue tracker, but I think it should become available later.

The fix is in a landing pattern, and should get backported to previous versions of Unity soon after

sarahnorthway likes this.
  12. inkfish

inkfish

Hey David, so this issue here? https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...e-path-are-clipped-in-keystore-manager-window if so, i have to take your word on it as i have no idea what that issue relates to and doesn't sound like mine, but hey im pretty new to unity so im sure you know better.

OK so all said and done, i can just leave this down to you guys to fix right? and i can take solace in the fact that it is a bug and not just me being a noob?

Lomyta likes this.
  13. inkfish

inkfish

Oh and i just logged in and am unable to vote ont he bug as its already Fixed? :D

14. DavidGeoffroy

DavidGeoffroy

Unity Technologies

No, it's weird it doesn't find it.

No matter, the actual link is available now.

sarahnorthway likes this.
  15. hedgefield

hedgefield

I am experiencing the same bug in the latest Unity 2021.1 with Timeline 1.5.7. Closing the animation window did not help. I can scrub through the timeline and see it act exactly as I'd want, but then when I hit Play, either in the Timeline window or in the Editor, it just remains stuck on the first frame. Any ideas?

16. akent99

akent99

Probably not helpful, but I am using Unity Timeline 1.6.3 and the only time it lock up is when something errors out with messages in the Console. (Make sure you have the checkbox on to show error messages!)

Suggestion - try muting different tracks in the timeline to see if one of the tracks is causing the problem? Might help narrow down the cause of the problem. For me I discovered Rigged Animation and Sequences don't play well together at times. Disabling that track allowed preview to start working again when it locked up.

17. hedgefield

hedgefield

Thank you, I discovered that there was a script not initializing correctly somewhere else which actually stopped the entire timescale, not just the timeline. Solved!

18. AllanRW

AllanRW

I have this issue and lost a few hours trying to find the solution, in my case the Time Scale was set to 0 in the Project settings... didn't know how that was changed but settiing it back to 1 fixed the problem.

upload_2022-10-18_19-11-2.png

cspid and howlW like this.
  19. drorco

drorco

Thanks AllanRW! I just had the same issue. Thing is, I haven't touched TimeScale.
    The way it probably got set to 0, is that in the previous session, Unity got stuck on playing the game, so I had to kill the process, and then the next time it loaded it was somehow set to 0.

You got to hate these kind of bugs.

AllanRW likes this.
  20. knas01

knas01

For anyone that still has this problem; my issue was that the timeline end marker had moved to the first frame thus creating a situation like it was not playing since all it did was repeat the first frame.

Anthony_cts and BFE_lstarc like this.
  21. Anthony_cts

Anthony_cts

I can't believe it, but that was the solution for me :)

22. lazylukey

lazylukey

In case anyone else comes across their timeline not playing, for me the solution was simply to have the Scene tab visible. Mine refused to play specifically its animation track with the Game tab covering the Scene tab (no idea why). Unity 2021.3.27f1