Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Timeline own inspector

Discussion in 'Timeline' started by Ziboo, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Ziboo

Ziboo

Hi,

First, awesome job guys ! the tool is really cool and was really needed.

I was wondering if the Timeline Editor could have its own inspector when selecting a clip in the timeline.

Why ?

Because most of the time, I'm selecting my gameobject that has the Director component in the scene, with all its children that need to be animated.

It's nice, because I can visualize gizmos if there is any and so on (like sphere collider, light radius ...).

But when I select a clip in the Timeline, the inspector switch to the clip, and I need to reselect the root.

I think this is a UX issue that is actually all around Unity workflow when you want to work with multiple object, it's not just a Timeline issue. (lock inspector, drag & drop, etc...)

But adding an inspector to the timeline might actually resolve this issue for this case at least.

Thought ?

Thanks

2. gekidoslayer

gekidoslayer

Unity Technologies

I think you are referring to the fact that when you select other objects in your scene the Timeline window itself loses focuses (ie you can't see your timeline anymore)?

What I'd highly suggest is to use the 'lock' icon on the Timeline window (upper right corner of the window) - this will make sure that Timeline doesn't lose focus on the object with the playabledirector, and then you can select & adjust other objects & clips as required.

3. Ziboo

Ziboo

Yep I know, but I don't think it's the best solution though. Ux could be better;

Other thing, locking the Timeline window, doesn't refresh clips as it should apparently..

1. Try downloading the Default Playables on asset store.
    2. Add a Tween Playable
    3. Setup it
    4. Lock the window
    5. Changed it's length
    The tween is wrong...

Do the same step, but by unlocking the window.
    Now when you come back to the window, the tween is good

Is that clear ?

4. seant_unity

seant_unity

Unity Technologies

Right - I think I understand the UX issue. Even with multiple inspectors, and one locked to the gameObject you are editing, you lose the gizmos when you select a clip in timeline. You can use shift-click, but you don't get usable behaviour in the inspector, and it's not really a viable workaround..

It's an interesting, and actually quite complex, problem. Definitely a UX issue, not really Timeline specific, just very apparent in Timeline. I don't have much of an answer for it in the short term, but it's great feedback and gives us something to think about.

As for the other problem, you are locking the timeline window and changing the length of the tween playable clip, correct?

5. Ziboo

Ziboo

Yes.
    It seems to refresh the clip correctly when disable/renable "Preview" also.
    Don't know if it's a Timeline bug, or a bad implementation in the Standard Playable on Asset Store