Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Timeline has some of the worst documentation available

Discussion in 'Timeline' started by MadeFromPolygons, Nov 9, 2017.

1. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Title says it all,

Timeline has some of the worst documentation available, with many inconsistencies.

The fact that on the official timeline documentation the distinction between the timeline and animator timeline has to be made already shows that the naming conventions need to be changed.

Why are feature teams making features that are named after parts of other features?

The documentation for unity has been appaaling for some time and everyone knows it. What annoys me is that this issue is being compounded by absolutely dreadful design decisions such as naming parts of or entire features after other parts of the engine.

Please start naming things uniquely and making it more clear when there are inconsistencies, if you look through the entire timeline forum it is quite clear that none of the provided documentation provide enough information for most users to do the basics with.

I should not have had to dive into a forum to find out most of the important info.

A set of detailed video tutorials should have been released at the same time.

A video that shows how to make an actual set of cutscenes, gameplay, etc with timeline and knit it together.

A video that shows how to move from mecanim to timeline.

A video that shows how to make custom timeline tracks for a range of purposes.

A video that shows how to reuse timeline blocks to make reusable gameplay blocks.

But instead we have....this.

P.S after all those job posts for technical writers, I expected more from you Unity.

monoky, Carwashh, Mars91 and 2 others like this.
  2. jwvanderbeck

jwvanderbeck

It really does. I'm going crazy trying to do what seems like the simplest thing.

I disagree about videos though. We need solid TEXT documentation. Videos are just extra goodies but not good for reference when you are trying to work.

3. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

The timeline is meant to be for designers and artists, and so there should be good material for those who are visually minded too. Totally agree that we need good written documentation too though!