Search Unity

Timeline for Xcode 10.2 availability?

Discussion in 'Unity Build Automation' started by mcarriere, Mar 28, 2019.

1. mcarriere

mcarriere

We're developing a native SDK that requires Swift 5, and as such, Xcode 10.2. This currently fails compilation when trying to build iOS due to the latest available being 10.1.

I recognize that Xcode 10.2 _just_ came out this week, but a timeline would be useful to communicate to any of our users who might be using our SDK and the Cloud Build service.

2. mcarriere

mcarriere

Bumping this. It's now been a week of broken Cloud Build builds for us. Any insight from the team would be helpful. (@dannyd do you know?)

3. ollieblanks

ollieblanks

Unity Technologies

Hi @mcarriere,

Sorry for the delay in response.

Mojave OS and Xcode 10.2, require Cloud Build Infrastructure upgrades and changes that have been under development and testing since February. This is something that has to be tested throughly to make sure we offer the best solution for both our legacy and modern users and is top priority for our DevOps teams at this time.

Providing an estimate at this time is not possible due to potential issues being difficult to predict. Once I have more information of its release, I'll be sure to update you here.

Hope this helps.

sngdan likes this.
  4. mcarriere

mcarriere

@ollieblanks I realize that you don't want to tie your team down to a date that can't be hit, but we're now going on our fourth week of broken iOS builds.

* Internally to our team, it's getting to the point where we need to re-evaluate whether or not we should be using Cloud Build to do regression testing across the variety of Unity Versions that we support for our users.
    * Externally, this breaks Cloud Build for all of our iOS SDK users. Our team went out of our way to ensure that this service can be supported with the SDK. This experience (and lack of timeline) definitely stands as an argument against trying to support the ancillary services that Unity provides to its developers.

Can you provide an order of magnitude to shape some expectations a bit further? Is this on the order of magnitude of additional: days, weeks, months, or nested prefabs?

5. ollieblanks

ollieblanks

Unity Technologies

Hi @mcarriere,

Thank you for your understanding.

It was planned for this week, but has been delayed due to a security issue we had to address. Our team is working on a new security fix that coincides with the Xcode 10.2 release that will require further testing, if the testing proves successful then, best case scenario, we should be ready for release end of next week. If there are other issues to address then, worst case scenario, could be up to 8 weeks.

Disclaimer: Please understand these are estimates and not definitive dates.

I hope this assures you that we do not have a "nested prefabs" on our hands!

6. namazustudios

namazustudios

I second this. We are able to build just fine through UCB. However, when we put the build on TestFlight, we get the following error from Apple.

Invalid Swift Support - The SwiftSupport folder is empty. Rebuild your app using the current public (GM) version of Xcode and resubmit it.

Best regards,

The App Store Team​

Just like mcarriere, we're completely dead in the water with this one. We've tried every known workaround, but still get this error no matter what. If the release is right around the corner, then I'd say it's not worth the team's time to keep trying various workarounds.

If there's another known workaround for this issue, I'm all for it.

7. ollieblanks

ollieblanks

Unity Technologies

Hi @mcarriere and @namazustudios,

I'm pleased to let you know that Xcode 10.2 is now an available option in Cloud Build. Please let me know here if you run into any issues, or submit a support ticket through the Cloud Build section of the Developer Dashboard.

mcarriere and Otto_Oliveira like this.
  8. mcarriere

mcarriere

We did notice this change take effect; thanks! It's great to have UCB in working order again.