Search Unity

Timeline Feedback

Discussion in 'Timeline' started by Matt3D, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Matt3D

Matt3D

Been learning timeline the past few days with the intention of adopting it fully for our game. I have some feedback/questions about it/Suggestions.

If you require some demo scenes, I can set some up for you.

-This is more of a comment… creating an entire cutscene with multiple shots that takes place in once scene in one single timeline is very doable and easy in timeline, but inflexible. What if you want to completely change the shot order around? Not just the camera cuts but everything animated to do with that shot?
    A better workflow is to do each shot (camera cut) as its own timeline. Then have a “master” timeline that is playing back the individual timelines that you can reorganize.
    This is possible I found by using a master timeline of Activation tracks on the individual timelines. But one slight quirk. You have to overlap the ends of the activation clips or else cinemachine moves the camera very quickly to the next location (looks glitchy as every cut has quick flashes of images as the camera moves) rather than hard cut to the next camera shot.
    Any thoughts on a better way to do this?

-When you create an animation track for a character, and drag on an animation clip. The character is reset to the origin. Kind of makes sense since there isn’t any keyframe data keeping them in place. My solution thus far is first create another animation track or override track and make a keyframe to root him in place, then drag on new animations. (this appears to be intended workflow)
    While yes this works, it’s an annoying tedious thing when you have 8-10 characters you want to animate, and the problem is compounded when there are multiple timelines you want to set up working with the same characters as with the workflow I stated above.
    I would recommend streamlining this somehow.

- I would like my characters to have the potential ability to walk via navmesh by just setting their destination at a certain point (which can be done via the navmesh playable from default playables). Or perhaps move along a spline path (by creating my own playable to interact with a spline/pathing solution from the asset store) While also at certain times using animation clips.
    So far in my tests if I set any animation clips so they end, and don't loop/hold, and then set a navmesh destination. The character does move along via navmesh, but starts and stops constantly. If the timeline ends then character walks normally.

-Can confirm this I’ve seen this bug
    -I can confirm I am also having this bug its already been reported.

-I would like the ability to loop/retime multiple clips at once, Right now selected multiple clips and trying to manipulate the end of a clip only affects the one you clicked.
    GIF demo

-If you create a new Track Group, and try and drag in a track + it’s override track selected, they break. Dragging in tracks with their override tracks collapsed works.
    GIF demo

Chambers88 likes this.
  2. Matt3D

Matt3D

Here is a demo project showing the Navmesh bug I described above
    https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ai6w1OVuVgZzhmKZ_BeYgocapfmd

Here are the repeat steps
    1. Create a Timeline and Set up Animation tracks for a Mecanim character that has a nav mesh agent. Play an animation or two
    2. Set the Post Extrapolate settings on the clips to be None (so the clips end and don't affect the character anymore)
    3.Create a Nav Mesh Agent control track. And a nav mesh Clip to tell him where to go after the animation clips end.

When you hit play and the character begins moving via navmesh, you will see it sliding/stuttering as it moves.
    This behavior does not happen if you only have a Nav Mesh Agent control track in your timeline, the character walks fine if you do..