Search Unity

timeline editor preview animation is different during runtime

Discussion in 'Timeline' started by jakzun2011, Aug 16, 2017.

1. jakzun2011

jakzun2011

i have it all lined up to render but, when i go into runtime, the placements are all off - she's missing ledges she's supposed to be climbing up - when i get out of runtime and just play it in timeline editor, it plays perfectly

so, how do i get unity to play my animation EXACTLY? the only thing changed is the transform is slightly off - but, enough to have her feet going thru the ground, etc.

can i use colliders and rigidbodies, to get real physics? right now, there are no riginbodies or colliders - but, how do i make footstep sounds and graphics?

2. seant_unity

seant_unity

Unity Technologies

If you have a controller on the animator, try removing it. If the controller is attached it plays relative to the scene position.

We are working on a fix to make this an option.

FALA likes this.
  3. jakzun2011

jakzun2011

BOO-YA!!

that did it - runs perfectly, now

4. jakzun2011

jakzun2011

thank you.

5. deluise4

deluise4

Hello. I am having the same issue, where my timeline preview works perfectly but the runtime PLAY mode totally ignores the camera animations, and my dude is not in the correct position. I tried your suggestion of setting the controller on my character to none, but the camera still sits in the same (incorrect) spot and so is my character. I've posted this question before and still haven't gotten a proper answer. Do you have any other suggestions?

6. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Timeline is broken. Unity have said end of august a fix was coming "ASAP". It is now December.

Take from that what you will, but my 2 cents is timeline will not be usable for another 1+ years given the current trend of unity developing half finished features and then abandoning them.

7. JakubSmaga

JakubSmaga

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  8. jakzun2011

jakzun2011

yeah. having an animator controller involved gives you bad results.

i can't get it to activate particle fx or audio. audio will play if you drop it in an animation track.

i like the timeline editor - i come from a traditional 3D animation background so, this is very familiar and intuitive, for the most part - it's alot like Cinema Director without the massive drain on cpu and slow down

i'm pleased.

i haven't tried Cinemachine yet - not sure what's the point - i can animate my own cameras - i guess it switches between cameras, like Cinema Director?

9. JakubSmaga

JakubSmaga

Not really. Cinema Director is a visual Timeline system, Cinemachine is a procedural camera system, I'm sure @Adam_Myhill can tell your more about it.

You should check out the forums: https://forum.unity.com/forums/cinemachine.136/

Also watch this video to get an idea what CM really is:

10. Exbleative

Exbleative

I had the same issue and I found this seemed to fix it, but created another problem. Now the scene/preview matches in game, but without the controller it's much more awkward to navigate to the animation from Timeline - I can't just select my gameobject as I could before to access the animation. It also seems I can't preview the animation or record any longer.

I'm just animating an object moving from point a to b so kinda surprised there's issues?