Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Timeline Ease In Animation not working

Discussion in 'Timeline' started by jasjammaster, Aug 4, 2017.

1. jasjammaster

jasjammaster

Hi, first of all thanks so much for developing Timeline and Cinemachine, I've been happily messing around with it for a few days.

I'm making a fighting game where the player has multiple states (stand, walk, punch etc.)
    I've decided to assign a timeline to each state. When the player changes state, I play the new timeline using code. I use the timeline to control animation with an animation track.

The problem is, the 'Ease In' property won't work when switching from one timeline to the other, even during gameplay. It eases in from some default pose instead of the pose from the last clip. It looks super weird because this default pose is halfway through the floor!

In short, is there a way to get the 'Ease In' property to work when switching from one timeline to the other? I've tried messing around with the extrapolation settings and apply/don't apply root motion, nothing seems to work.
    If you have any ideas or would like me to be more specific, please let me know!

2. seant_unity

seant_unity

Unity Technologies

During the ease-in of new timeline, is a second timeline sitll playing? You will get that pose on the character when a timeline is playing, and there is a gap/ease-in in the animation track with nothing (no either timeline, or animation controller) underneath.

3. jasjammaster

jasjammaster

So you're saying I should play two timelines at the same time? How do I do that?

4. seant_unity

seant_unity

Unity Technologies

If you have multiple playable directors playing timelines and each animate the same object, they can blend together. The last timeline to start playing will 'win' but case use ease-in curves to blend from any other timelines playing.

In your case, you may want to attach a runtime controller to the animator that puts the character in an idle state. The ease-in will blend from the idle state if it's the only timeline running.

5. jasjammaster

jasjammaster

Wow, thanks very much! I shall have some time tomorrow, I'll tell you if this works.