Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Timeline does not obey all object activation states at the end

Discussion in 'Timeline' started by chuakc92, Jun 7, 2018.

1. chuakc92

chuakc92

I've created a Timeline that is supposed to activate a few deactivated gameobjects in the scene and keep them activated after it has ended. Screen Shot 2018-06-07 at 4.09.32 PM.png The Playable Director has a wrap mode of Hold and plays on awake, since I want the timeline to play every time this object is enabled.

At the end of the timeline, only PS_OpenIdle_5.0 is still active in the scene. PS_results3_7.0 is set to inactive again.

I tried changing the Post-playback state from Active to Leave As Is and PS_results3_7.0 still gets set to inactive.

I tried adding more objects, also with their transitions dragged to the very end, but the timeline always picks just ONE gameobject to actually obey it's post-playback state.

Is this by design? If so, why? Why can't the timeline handle more than one post-playback state?

This is on Unity 2017.2.1f1.

2. seant_unity

seant_unity

Unity Technologies

Change the PlayableDirector wrap mode to none. Hold will hold the timeline on the last frame and keep it 'playing', and the post playback setting will not be applied (since playback is still active). None will stop playing the timeline and apply post-playback states.

Also, make sure the two clips have EXACTLY the same end frame. If there is a small difference that would explain why one is active and the other isn't. They look different in the image provided, but it's difficult to tell.

3. jipsen

jipsen

I get that the game objects need the same end frame but it seems so unnecessary. To me, it makes more sense to control what happens at the end of the activation clip rather then what happens at the end of the playback. I have timelines with activation clips all over the place that extend the entire timeline and makes it look super messy, even if I have track groups...

4. DavidGeoffroy

DavidGeoffroy

Unity Technologies

@jipsen The problem is that the Activation track is essentially a boolean track. It describes an on-off behaviour.

Adding extrapolation modes on those clips would mean the track would show that it's supposed to be OFF, but it's Actually ON, which would be confusing.

We need to move the whole UX away from clips in order to support a track that essentially does "just keep the last thing I set".