Search Unity

Timeline - Documentation now available

Discussion in 'Timeline' started by Christine_R, Aug 16, 2017.

1. Christine_R

Christine_R

Unity Technologies

Hi everyone
    The much anticipated Timeline documentation is now online!
    Visit docs.unity3d.com to see it.

sylon, AcidArrow, TonyLi and 4 others like this.
  2. Xarbrough

Xarbrough

Thank you! I must say I like the structuring, very clear and easy to find information.

I hope there will also be workflow focused or tutorial-like docs about the scripting side of custom playables. I've seen the DefaultPlayables from the Asset Store and some other examples, but it would be nice to have some walkthroughs for common things.

Two examples I'd like to find in the docs (I might be asking these questions in separate threads to not spam this one):
    - Is it possible to retrieve the TrackBinding (or so called 'playerData') object from within other scripts outside of the typical MixerBehaviour? E.g. when writing a custom property drawer for the PlayableBehaviour, I'd like to retrieve the referenced object in the scene.
    - Do I have to override GatherProperties or is it optional? When is it usually used? Nothing apparently breaks, when I remove the provided boilerplate code.

3. rlevreault

rlevreault

Unity Technologies

Hello Xarbrough, thanks for the compliment. My aim with the first drop of the Timeline docs was to make it easy to find information.

Have you checked out the Playables API docs? I don't know if this will answer your questions. I haven't tried scripting yet. The Timeline section is purposely focused towards non-scripting methods of creating cut-scenes and other game-play sequences.

Xarbrough likes this.
  4. larskroll

larskroll

I'm sorry. This documentation is *woefully* inadequate.

You have five basic types of tracks, and you don't even mention what each track type does. That seems like pretty core information....

5. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

I have to agree, considering this was the headline feature of 2017 I expected....more.

6. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

7. dearamy

dearamy

Is there any way to mute the whole GroupTrack?
    The muted properties for the GroupTrack doesn't work when the GroupTrack has children.
    And the muted icon doesn't show up in the timeline editor

8. remiC3D

remiC3D

Hi all,

I'm having quite a hard time finding documentation/samples/tutorials about some specific features of the Timeline; can you guys help me ? What I'm looking for is:
    - How to use Control Tracks (both from a developper or a designer/animator point of view) ? The timeline section of the Unity Manual doesn't really speak about it... Of course there is the Scripting Api , but it doesn't provide examples or how-to's...
    - Some sripting tutorials or exemples about writing custom Playables (using the PlayableBehaviour/PlayableClip/PlayableMixerBehaviour/PlayableTrack system). Again, the Scripting Api is a good source of info about those, but it lacks complete examples, or how-to's...

Ideally I'm looking for video tutorials or downloadable projects, but written tutorials would also be great !

Thanks in advance for your help !

9. sebastienlh

sebastienlh

Unity Technologies

@remiC3D The only thing I will say in this thread is that Timeline Documentation is currently being worked on and the Control Tracks will be covered. There won't be a tutorial or video, but the manual should be explicit enough to get you going. I'll go into more details in the other thread where you asked.

10. sebastienlh

sebastienlh

Unity Technologies