Search Unity

Timeline/Cinemachine issue - Scrubbing failure, no camera initialization

Discussion in 'Timeline' started by ericjacobus, Jan 10, 2019.

1. ericjacobus

ericjacobus

Hello folks. Our scene involves multiple motion capture animations played within one location, which I was shooting with Cinemachine. Originally I was using Unity 2018.2.6f1 (I believe) and had imported the Unity Recorder so I could export to mp4, and I had put together 30 shots or so and had been working with 3 different mocap animations in the scene (rigged as "general"... in case that matters). Everything was fine, then I tried recording with the recorder, and the timeline stopped functioning, and the camera reverted back to my default camera (my cinemachine brain). I stopped, and scrubbing the timeline showed no change in the cameras nor any motion from the animations. However, hitting "play" showed the animation, just from the default camera, with no switching to my cinemachine cameras.

Here's the full scene

This is the recorder I was using

I upgraded to Unity 2019. Upon opening the project, I got a ton of errors, so I deleted the recorder.

Reopening the project, I still receive these errors immediately (the two errors below it are the same, occurring after hitting "play" with the addition of "UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr)")

Here's my hierarchy (virtual cams are under empty objects for organization)

Here's my main camera inspection

Still, when I scrub the timeline, nothing happens in the scene. No animation, no camera switching. When I play the scene, it still plays from the default camera, with all my animations in the scene at the same time (whereas before, I had a way to swap them out via transforms).

Please help! I've thrown this to Adam M. and he recommended I post it here for help. I'm a new Unity user (I'm a stuntman and filmmaker, so this is very new stuff to me), so the more explanation the better. Thank you,

Eric

2. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

You say you upgraded to Unity 2019, then were getting those null playable messages. Did you also upgrade Cinemachine to 2.3.3? That's important.

3. ericjacobus

ericjacobus

Yes, I'm on Cinemachine 2.3.3

4. thierry_unity

thierry_unity

it's possible you need to reimport everything. can you try this and tell us if it fixed the issue?
    Otherwise, here is our suggestions.
    Go back to a working version with a working project, create a new scene and open it. make sure that you dont have any visible timeline anywhere. Upgrade your project to a newer version of the editor, update cinemachine. and hopefully everything should work from there. you might have felt in one of the upgrade path isn't covered properly.

sorry about that...

5. ericjacobus

ericjacobus

Thanks for the response.

I re-imported everything, and this error list came up:

I hit play, and these errors came up:

Timeline still won't scrub, and now the animations won't play on "Play".

Tried opening in older Unity 2018.2.6f1 (when it last worked... and then stopped working), got this error popup

I hit continue and got 90-something red-exclamation point errors and the timeline wouldn't load. Maybe that's what you meant.

Do I now open the project in the newest Unity version? (2019.1.0a13) I tried and the same issue is happening.

It might be worthwhile just starting over.....

Attached Files:

6. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

Eric,
    Unity doesn't support going back to older Unity versions on a project that's been opened with a newer Unity version. You have to restore a backup of your project that was saved with the old Unity version, then follow Thierry's steps to upgrade. Make sure that you upgrade with an empty scene opened.

7. ericjacobus

ericjacobus

Then it's probably just worth starting over. Thanks.

8. hritik16

hritik16

Was Having a similar problem, then found that animator component attached to it didn't have a controller assigned.;