Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Timeline Character Not Moving

Discussion in 'Timeline' started by OdyseeGames, Oct 17, 2020.

1. OdyseeGames

OdyseeGames

I am using Invector Third Person Controller and trying to make a small cutscene using Unity's Timeline. I have having an issue with it. I add the character to the Timeline and add their animation for Walking. I play the animation and the character will walk, but only in place. The character doesn't actually move around from it. What am I missing? Is that an issue with a setting i missed? I tried both root animation and no root animation. Or is it an issue with how the controller interacts with Timeline? And in that case, is there an alternative to creating a cutscene without using Timeline? Should i be making characters who don't have all the movement controller scripts on it just for cutscenes? I've been playing around with this for a few days and it is annoying.

I also have another issue with Timeline. When I have the character involved with the Timeline, the character will fall through the ground. If the character is not involved with Timeline the character behaves as it should.

I have a video showing what I mean.

2. seant_unity

seant_unity

Unity Technologies

It appears like animation is not moving the character using the root transform, although Timeline seems to think there is (based on the clip properties). So either there is something odd with the AnimationClip import options, or there is something else going on, such as an OnAnimatorMove() method preventing the final writing of root motion.

That could explain both issues, as timeline would overwrite the computed physics position if it was properly writing root transform.

3. OdyseeGames

OdyseeGames

Oh I forgot about this. I didn't exactly figure out how to solve this problem, i did find out that the problem is related to the animations. This is using the controller and animation assets from the Invector Third Person Controller. I guess how they import the animations is so it doesn't move the character. But they did provide a script to make it work, by essentially forcing the movements. But, I started to use Slate instead and it is working perfectly. Not that it made it work as it is expected with Timeline, but because the character moves along a path while an animation plays.