Search Unity

Timeline : can't record Global Volume changes on an animation track

Discussion in 'Timeline' started by ewermor, Jun 22, 2021.

1. ewermor

ewermor

Hello,

Unity version : 2020.2.1f1

I'm aiming to control a lot of different things through a timeline, but i can't do this with a global volume to control post processing at runtime.

Everything work, from camera controlling with an animation track to audio controlling via an audio track. But when i try with a global volume and push record, nothing is recorded.

Could you help me ?

Best regards,

Julien.

AntonioModer likes this.
  2. DavidGeoffroy

DavidGeoffroy

Unity Technologies

What do you mean global volume?
    Where is that stored?

3. ewermor

ewermor

Last edited: Jun 22, 2021
  4. DavidGeoffroy

DavidGeoffroy

Unity Technologies

Ah, yes...

The Animation Track only covers properties stored (directly) on a component. The Volume component only stores a limited amount of properties on the component, and most of it's properties in a custom solution, which is not supported by the Animation System.

At the moment, animating Volumes (and a lot of HDRP components) is sadly not possible out of the box either through the Animation system, or through Timeline.

A custom Timeline track would need to be made for them in order to make this work, and at the moment, it's sadly not on the Timeline team's roadmap.

AntonioModer likes this.
  5. ewermor

ewermor

I understand, well thank you for your help.

6. netpost

netpost

Any development regarding this? How can we record cinematic without being able to record the automation or post processing change of states?

7. akent99

akent99

As someone very new to HDRP and the volume system for post processing, I just wanted to add the fact that volumes are assets (files on disk) "feels strange" and has bitten me multiple times already. I have no idea the feasibility, but I would have much preferred volumes to be stored in scene game objects. Yes, useful for animation, but I had a more mundane reason. I like to copy and paste things between Sequences (camera shots using the Sequences package). I copy, paste, adjust. The problem with assets in general is the copied game objects refer to the same asset (they don't copy it). I have gotten bitten several times already cloning objects, changing profile settings, only to discover I broke another shot because the volume was shared. (I am changing properties like camera depth of field settings.)

Is there any other way to have volumes as game objects instead of assets (files on disk)?

8. tsukimi

tsukimi

Hello folks!
    I've also suffered from that it is hard to animate post-processing parameters in animator or timeline. Hence, I've created a package that's called AnimatableVolumeComponent, to deal this problem.
    You can animate your volume with this package, without writing any code. For details, the package creates MonoBehaviour copies (which is animatable) of every VolumeComponent, and write back the parameter values to a runtime Profile on LateUpdate(). (Profile asset remain unchanged)
    I hope this package can help you animating post-processing parameters. If you tested it and find a bug, please tell me or submit an issue in the repository.

9. lingaijie

lingaijie

It's a great idea, thanks

tsukimi likes this.