Search Unity

Timeline - Available in Unity 2017.1

Discussion in 'Timeline' started by gekidoslayer, Feb 7, 2017.

1. Danirey

Danirey

First i would set the scene objects or whatever you want to animate inside the timeline with default state, be position, or some values in a script, but unchecking the preview button on the top left corner of the timeline window. Once you hafe the default state for the scene objects, you can start edditing the timeline. This is some kind of standard process on every timeline based workflow.

2. julienb

julienb

Unity Technologies

Here's how you can do it at runtime:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using UnityEngine.Playables;
    3. using UnityEngine.Timeline;
    5. public class TimelineController : MonoBehaviour
    6. {
    7.     public PlayableDirector masterDirector;
    8.     public PlayableDirector slaveDirector;
    10.     void Start ()
    11.     {
    12.         if (masterDirector == null || slaveDirector == null)
    13.             return;
    15.         //create new timeline asset on the master
    16.         var masterTimelineAsset = ScriptableObject.CreateInstance<TimelineAsset>();
    17.         masterDirector.playableAsset = masterTimelineAsset;
    19.         //create control track and clip
    20.         var controlTrack = masterTimelineAsset.CreateTrack<ControlTrack>(null, "ControlTrack");
    21.         var clip = controlTrack.CreateDefaultClip();
    23.         //set master clip duration based on the slave's duration
    24.         clip.start = 0;
    25.         clip.duration = slaveDirector.playableAsset.duration;
    27.         // this is the tricky part. We will grab the control playable asset from the clip.
    28.         // A ControlPlayableAsset needs an exposed reference set to the object that will be controlled.
    29.         // In order to set the exposed reference to the right value, we need to use the PlayableDirector and the exposedReference's exposedName.
    30.         // This will bind our target game object (the slave director) to the master director's ControlPlayableAsset.
    31.         var controlPlayable = clip.asset as ControlPlayableAsset;
    32.         masterDirector.SetReferenceValue(controlPlayable.sourceGameObject.exposedName, slaveDirector.gameObject);
    34.         //Awesome, let's see if this works!
    35.         masterDirector.Play();
    36.     }
    37. }
    This should do what you need. The less obvious part is how to set the exposed reference on the ControlPlayableAsset. See this thread.

rakkarage and Carwashh like this.
  3. Carwashh

Carwashh

Thanks very much, I'll give it a go at work tomorrow.

4. funyashow

funyashow

hi

I try to delete timeline track.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    TimelineAsset _timeline = timeline;
    int count = _timeline.outputTrackCount;
    TrackAsset ta = _timeline.GetOutputTrack (count - 1); // this track is ControlTrack
    _timeline.DeleteTrack (ta);
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I succeed in timeline track elimination.
    The following error goes out.

MissingReferenceException: The object of type 'ControlTrack' has been destroyed but you are still trying to access it.
    Your script should either check if it is null or you should not destroy the object.

Please tell me how it can be settled.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
  5. Teh_Lemon

Teh_Lemon

Sorry if I've missed something. How do I set the frame without playing the Timeline?

I have a Timeline that animates Material properties on a trigger hit. The problem is that Material properties don't revert to defaults at the end of the scene play.
    I tried calling playableDirector.time = 0 in my Start() but while that moves the scrubber head in the Timeline editor window, it doesn't actually change any of the objects.

6. Chris_Payne_QS

Chris_Payne_QS

I've got a disabled GameObject which is turned on briefly using an Animation Track. This all works perfectly while scrubbing the timeline in the editor...but in Play mode, when the timeline completes it turns the GameObject (which was off at the end of the sequence) back on. How do I make it stay off?

7. Carwashh

Carwashh

Click on the activation track -> inspector -> change the 'Post-playback state'

Chris_Payne_QS likes this.
  8. Chris_Payne_QS

Chris_Payne_QS

THANK YOU! :)

9. pocketpair

pocketpair

10. julienb

julienb

Unity Technologies

You cannot get the curves at runtime. This is something we get asked a lot; we will try to add a way to get curves in a future Timeline update.

Happy to hear you adopted Timeline =)

11. rneron1

rneron1

Hello! Do you plan to make Playmode Timeline Realtime recording? See image example :)

And in a second question, it can be really useful to have a 3D path with handles to manage animation in Timeline.
    It can be a solid feature for Unity! See example on my second image :) Playmode Timeline Realtime recording.jpg 3D_Path_workspace.jpg

vovo801 and Rodolfo-Rubens like this.
  12. JakubSmaga

JakubSmaga

13. rneron1

rneron1

JakubSmaga likes this.
  14. QuestionsBrown

QuestionsBrown

Does this support spawning objects at specific times using instantiate????

15. QuestionsBrown

QuestionsBrown

I'm trying to find a way to spawn my AR environment/AR objects after floor detection has been tracking for lets say 5 to ten seconds

16. Rodolfo-Rubens

Rodolfo-Rubens

Ah, yes, that would be great, I thought timeline had this from day 1...

17. KenjiJU

KenjiJU

Does this work with blendshapes?

18. elettrozero

elettrozero

Timeline play button (while not playing game) is not working.
    No errors in console (I updated Cinemachine to 2.1 RC).

19. Jiraiyah

Jiraiyah

Hi
    If I want to reference Time line assembly inside a c# project (that will build a dll itself and this dll is not editor one) which version should i reference (there are 3 folders with dll files in it) ?
    there is an editor folder (obviously for those dll projects that has unityEditor reference) but there are two more one called Runtime and one called RuntimeEditor, which one of these two should i reference? (My project won't reference UnityEditor.dll)
    another question is when i would develop a project with UnityEditor in it, again should i choose the one under the editor folder or runtimeEditor one?

sorry but the lack of information about the difference between these three files are a little troublesome.

20. SpencerPDX

SpencerPDX

Hello! This seems like a real simple question, and I could have sworn I figured out how to do this when first fiddling with Timeline, but... How do I disable objects via an activation track? The only choice of clip I can add to an Activation track is "Active." But I thought there was a way to add an "Inactive." At the very start of this thread I see this:

So I'd like to disable the object.

I do see the track has "post-playback state" options that include inactive, but that's not what I'm looking for.

Looking to add a key that deactivates the object from within the track.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

21. SpencerPDX

SpencerPDX

Aha, looking at it further, it seems that just adding an activation track but not adding an activation key (and deleting the activation key that gets added automatically) make the object go away. No obvious, to me at least, but elegantly simple.

22. Carwashh

Carwashh

Click on the clip and you can set active/ inactive/ etc in the inspector

23. cocos2der

cocos2der

24. musolo

musolo

Where can i download Timeline for my Unity 5.6.3p2 ?
    It was there earlier. What happened?

25. jwvanderbeck

jwvanderbeck

It seems that int fields can't be keyed on Timeline. Is there a good reason for this? We have custom components with int fields that need to be animated in Timeline.

26. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Please make some documentation that clearly specifies the shortcomings of the current timeline system in regards to what has been promised in all of the videos.

Currently there is no way to tell that this is a LLAPI, a HLAPI is coming, that playable and timeline are related (even the same thing, timeline plays playables).

But above all, remove the videos that say timeline is effortless and time saving to integrate. Currently a wizard is needed just to get the things to generate properly.

4 scripts plus an asset just to get something as simple as a basic playable in the scene?

Please introduce some kind of QA step, and next time if you have missed a release deadline dont just shove it out the door because you said it would be ready then. Timeline is just a more convoluted animation window with support for animating more than 1 object currently , any performance savings are negated by the time it takes to integrate.

alexzlov and Carwashh like this.
  27. JakubSmaga

JakubSmaga

Suggestion:

-Add "Destroy" to post-playback state in the Activation Track.

Also please consider multiple parameters support in the Timeline event system,
    many people hated that UI didn't supported that and still hate that.

Thank you.

Jacob

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
    Louren325 likes this.
  28. CGChoco

CGChoco

Hi guys i'm trying to import alembic animations files but i cannot find any tutorial on how to play it from the timeline editor for cinematic. Anyone have an idea please? Thanks

29. CGChoco

CGChoco

Hello guys.
    Anyone know how to play alembic sequence from the timeline? Thanks

Alverik likes this.
  30. prayshouse

prayshouse

Hello guys,
    After I add a timeline for my particle system, I found my particle system runs faster than before .
    Anyone knows why?

Alverik likes this.
  31. awesomedata

awesomedata

Possibly this is due to pre-computation and the ability to add a random seed for particles now.

To put it in Layman's terms -- in order to scrub back and forth in a timeline and have the particles in a system stay at the exact same positions/scales/etc, having this pre-computed only once with a random seed instead of running in realtime is very likely to save on performance.

Alverik likes this.
  32. prayshouse

prayshouse

It seems the Start Delay of Particle System does not work after creating a Timeline for the particle system. Is that right?

33. JakubSmaga

JakubSmaga

Is there any way to collapse all folders with a key/dropdown menu?

34. Deleted User

Deleted User

Forgive me if this was already covered in the thread (it's quite long), but is this demo available anywhere? I was hoping to use Timelines to control doors and other "static" elements of my scene for gameplay but wasn't sure how to go about it. Even if there's no demo, if there's are some good docs and quick tips that'd be super helpful.

35. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Its been almost a year, and I would like some form of decent demo like this too!

Alverik and awesomedata like this.
  36. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

A Moon Shaped Bool Unity Legend

MadeFromPolygons and rakkarage like this.
  37. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  38. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

A Moon Shaped Bool Unity Legend

MadeFromPolygons likes this.
  39. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

40. Deleted User

Deleted User

Awesome, thanks for the links!

41. Deeeds

Deeeds

what's the cost of Timeline on mobile for animating transforms (scale, position, rotation, opacity, etc) on 2D objects compared to alternative means? I like the idea, and the curves, but worried about weight and inefficiencies. Not a coder, so wouldn't know where to begin in terms of testing performance.

42. dadude123

dadude123

Having a playable director play a timeline will instantiate the whole graph as far as I know.
    Which is will contribute a LOT to GC pressure.
    Since you're not a coder I'll put it in other words:
    Every time some sort of playable actually gets played it will create some internal objects, which will likely not get reused and thus become something named "garbage", which a system called the garbage collector later collects (not immediately, but when a lot of objects have been created, it will eventually trigger a collection, which is the thing you want to avoid because it literally pauses your game for a few milliseconds, in some cases long enough or often enough to be really noticeable).

The part where a playable/timeline is actually playing and doing its thing, is probably be more or less on the same level as the existing animation editor, but I'm not sure.
    This part you can easily test yourself though. Just make a simple animation that animates multiple properties of something and check how the two compare in terms of FPS in a built game (not in editor)

twobob likes this.
  43. kilik128

kilik128

hi it's possible to custom audioplayableasset on timeline please

44. SKoptev

SKoptev

Necroposting, ofc, by I faced the same problem. The reason is TimelineEditor window - when currently viewed asset changed from script, you should update it.

Code (CSharp):
    1. if (TimelineEditor.inspectedAsset == timeline)
    2. {
    3.     TimelineEditor.Refresh(RefreshReason.ContentsAddedOrRemoved);
    4. }

kilik128 likes this.
  45. NGC6543

NGC6543

Hey, can I leave a feedback about Timeline on this thread?

A GameObject can't be made as prefab if it has a Playable Director component and its timeline panel is opened.
    I have to close the Timeline panel to make it as prefab. It's not that tricky to find, but I'm writing it in case if this isn't the intended behaviour...

46. kilik128

kilik128

thank's

47. musolo

musolo

Hi guys!
    Is there any possible way to use timeline with 5.6
    What is the most recent version that can be used in 5.6.7
    Perhaps there`s a way to do this?
    Thanks!

48. seant_unity

seant_unity

Unity Technologies

Unfortunately no, Timeline only works from 2017.1 onward.

49. seant_unity

seant_unity

Unity Technologies

Yes, this is a known issue. The preview mode is currently not compatible with prefabs. You should be able to disable the preview on timeline and make the prefab.

NGC6543 likes this.
  50. musolo

musolo

What about beta hat was in 5.6.0b6?
    I downloaded it and timeline is not there anymore:(
    Could you please help me get the Timeline Experimental Preview Installer?
    Maybe there are links to it that i missed?
    Guys if anybody stil has Timeline Experimental Preview Release 1 please share it with me
    My email is: musolo78@gmail.com
    Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019