Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Timeline / Animation Bugs / weird and undocumented behaviour, Continued

Discussion in '2018.2 Beta' started by fherbst, May 18, 2018.

1. fherbst

fherbst

I'm referencing this thread from the 2018.1 beta forum here: https://forum.unity.com/threads/timeline-animation-bugs-weird-and-undocumented-behaviour.526500/, since that Thread is locked.

There was a huge amount of Timeline and Animation bugs in 2018.1 since the beta. Looking at the release notes, a lot of them where fixed - however, the ones most affecting our workflow are still there, both in 2018.1.0f2 and 2018.2.0b4.

The most important ones because they basically make animating in Unity 2018 impossible for us:
    1. Rotations just jump around, animating rotations is basically not possible
      • create two keyframes that have pos + rotations
      • move timeline marker inbetween them
      • rotate object slightly
      • play the animation and note that everything is going crazy
      • curve view shows that angles are all messed up (+- 360° etc.)
        Note: this seems to happen when animating the position/rotation of the object the Animator is on, not on sub transforms.
    2. Animating position/rotation properties sometimes seems to get locales mixed up and change e.g. 33.5 to 33500000 - happens randomly, once it happens it always happens with that specific property
      (on german locale here if that helps)

3. Using the timeline sometimes changes settings in the scene that are then persistent (unless using Animator and Animation clips - changes never stick around in the scene, as it should be)
    These together make for a very unpleasent experience - there's a pretty high chance that when you animate a value, it either corrupts the animation or the scene. This happens on all of our machines, but not deterministic. Only thing those machines have in common is german locale.

The thread mentioned above contains many many more explanations of bugs, with videos that show them in action.
    @thierry_unity would be great if you can chime in and maybe point me to the bug reports you created for them and let me know what else you need to get them fixed.

2. thierry_unity

thierry_unity

Hi, sorry for the delay.
    So I checked with the Anims guys for the position/rotation bug and indeed there is an issue and we file a bug (ID: 1040868) for it.
    for the settings getting changed in scene, if you are referring to the video you sent in the other thread, I would really appreciate if you can send a bug report with the project attached. It would help us alot.

thanks