Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Timeline and ECS compatibility

Discussion in 'Timeline' started by artemio_morales, Oct 7, 2019.

1. artemio_morales

artemio_morales

First off, just want to say that I absolutely love Timeline. Took a while to get used to but the customizability with playables is fantastic and love what I've been able to build on top of it.

That being said, not sure whether this question is best suited for here or the DOTS forum, but I’m brainstorming how to incorporate ECS into my Timeline-heavy project. I essentially make interactive 2D films and my scenes are huge Timelines where I use custom playables to animate colors, transforms, etc., of game objects using custom playables.

After seeing the Unite Cophenhagen's demo of Live Link, I think it’d be awesome to be able to update my Timeline clips and see updated results in real time on iOS / Android devices. But I’m not sure whether this is possible.

Are there any plans to hook up Timeline functionality to ECS in order to allow us Timeline-heavy users to gain access to Live Link? Or, is it already possible and I'm missing something? Any ideas / help appreciated!

2. seant_unity

seant_unity

Unity Technologies

Yes, there are definite plans for having Timeline work in an ECS/DOTS environment and the expectations is that it would be compatible with LiveLink.

As for doing it right now, it might work in some cases, but it's not officially supported.

artemio_morales likes this.
  3. artemio_morales

artemio_morales

Great, thnx for your speedy reply! This is amazing to hear. Any idea on the timeframe for that, say first half of 2020 vs second half, or is it still in very early discussion?

4. seant_unity

seant_unity

Unity Technologies

Good question. TBD is my best answer right now, hopefully we have better information to share soon.

artemio_morales likes this.
  5. danbrani

danbrani

Has there been any status change so far?

6. DavidGeoffroy

DavidGeoffroy

Unity Technologies

It's still TBD. DOTS Timeline is heavily dependent on authoring workflows, which are still in development for DOTS.

danbrani likes this.