Search Unity

Timeline and animation clips (newly learning Timeline)

Discussion in 'Timeline' started by syscrusher, Sep 4, 2017.

1. syscrusher

syscrusher

Hello, all

This is probably a silly newbie question, but I'm not finding the answer in the docs or tutorial vids (which, by the way, are both quite good).

I made a simple scene with a Cube primitive, then used timeline to do all sorts of rotations and transforms on it. The cube is at a nonzero XYZ location, with no problems.

Then I imported one of the character assets I've purchased, which gave me a humanoid rig and some premade animation clips to work with.

I'm trying very simply to have the character play one of its idle animations while standing in place, but playing this animation via Timeline. I can easily get the character to play the animation, with or without root motion, but no matter where the character is placed, the moment that animation plays the character jumps to zero transform relative to scene root.

In record mode, I can position the character model to its initial transform, theoretically creating a keyframe there, but the moment I move the time cursor, the model jumps back to zero transform again.

I thought I had found the problem when I noticed that "apply root motion" was enabled in the animation controller, but turning that off didn't help. Nor did the Timeline option to apply transforms after moving the character model to its intended position for the start of my sequence.

I'm sure I'm doing something silly here, so can someone please point out the error of my ways? Thanks!

2. Carwashh

Carwashh

I believe this was a bug and is supposed to be fixed in 2017.1.0p3 and 2017.1.1. If you're not on either of those, then put your model in an empty game object and move that around, so that the model starts of at 0,0,0 of it's empty parent.

syscrusher likes this.
  3. syscrusher

syscrusher

I'm on 2017.2b8 at the moment. I'll grab b10 and see if that helps. I'm using the beta because this is a "sandbox project" for learning the new features, not a real project. I'm also testing the Substance 6 support that came into this version.

Being new to this feature, and as a "responsible citizen", I didn't immediately blame the software, but assumed it was pilot error on my part. :)

Thanks for the tip.

4. syscrusher

syscrusher

For reference: 2017.2b10 does not appear to change the behavior. I'll use an empty GO parent as you suggest.