Search Unity

Timeline affect mask/layer only?

Discussion in 'Timeline' started by ChrisIceBox, Jul 27, 2020.

1. ChrisIceBox

ChrisIceBox

I have my character's Idle/Walk/Run animations set up on a Blend Tree on his root Animator - standard stuff. To help make my Timeline-based cutscenes easier to make, I was hoping I might use Timeline to control only the character's position - with a simple script attached that updates the root Animator's parameters based on the change in position every frame.

I've got this working pretty well - I can have a single Timeline track that just animates the position playing alongside my script, so his regular Animator BlendTree can still run.

The problem comes when trying to layer in some upper-body animations, such as a wave. Even as an override to the position/rotation track, and applying an "Upper Body" Avatar mask, the character's Animator is totally controlled through Timeline for the duration of the clip. Both tracks are affecting the same Animator on the root.

Is there a way to have a Timeline track only affect a given layer in the Animator, and not take over the character's Animator entirely? Or is this a bit of a dead-end?

2. seant_unity

seant_unity

Unity Technologies

Unfortunately, it's an open issue right now that masking between the timeline and animator controller, in particular with humanoid characters, doesn't apply the mask correctly - it will use default values instead of blended values.

3. ChrisIceBox

ChrisIceBox

OK, thanks for the clarification!

4. KHagen95

KHagen95

Hey @seant_unity !
    I wanted to ask, whether there is a bug report filed already in the unity issue tracker for this and if you could link this here?

5. seant_unity

seant_unity

Unity Technologies

There have been a few, but here's the latest one I can find. Please up-vote it - that increases the priority to get fixed :)

6. KHagen95

KHagen95

Thanks! Id love to see this fixed asap, as we would quite urgently need that :p Lets hope it gets some more upvotes and thanks again for linking it!