Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Feature Request Time Slicing for Realtime reflection probes (exists in URP)

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by PutridEx, Nov 30, 2021.

1. PutridEx

PutridEx

Can be found in URP.
    "All Faces At Once": spreads update over 9 frames
    "Individual Faces": updates over fourteen frames

Without them realtime reflection probes in HDRP are unusable for any project that cares about FPS.
    Although we have onDemand, the update cost is massive as it does all the work in a single frame.

2. Deleted User

Deleted User

Don't know why such performance heavy feature does not have any important optimizations and i also cannot lower the resolution below 128 (which is possible in URP), frame settings does not improve the performance much and i feel that reflection update settings must be included out of the box instead of writing a script and also time slicing's update frame period must also be available as more optimization options

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2021
    PutridEx likes this.
  3. PutridEx

PutridEx

Yeah frame-settings for the reflection probe actually do next to nothing from my testing. I removed almost everything and the cost is around the same. It costs far too much, even a single Realtime probe will cripple your performance.

Ruchir and Deleted User like this.
  4. nehvaleem

nehvaleem

exactly! I am unable to figure out the reason behind implementing reflection probes in a way that makes them unusable in real time? Maybe just stick with the baked version since no one is able to utilize them in real-time?

Deleted User likes this.
  5. Oniros88

Oniros88

I use mine ondemand and with a manager that updates them one by one over several frames. It works for me since my scenarios are just random starting time of day/weather and toggling some lights (like switches or shutting down power generators), but yeah, for true realtime they would be unusable.

Deleted User and PutridEx like this.
  6. koirat

koirat

Simple. "We got this feature" kind of talk. Unity can show you that they got this feature on a conferences and youtube videos.

About month ago I have sent 2 bug reports regarding real time Planar Reflection Probe.
    I got no answers since.

7. Deleted User

Deleted User

I hope that unity has atleast considered this:(

8. Deleted User

Deleted User

9. PutridEx

PutridEx

Deleted User likes this.
  10. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

But is it due to the steely policing gaze of PutridEx or a metacosmic coincidence? We will perhaps never know.

11. Oniros88

Oniros88

OMG what a godsend! No longer having to queue my reflection proves by script over frames