Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Time of Day - Dynamic Sky Dome

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by andererandre, Mar 4, 2013.

1. andererandre

andererandre

While you can adjust the color of the halo at noon, the sun is being affected by the sunset and sunrise automatically. I should also note that the blending is still additive, just in a modified way - so a sun that's darker than the sky will not work for the time being. It wouldn't make a lot of sense anyhow though.

The color is the emission from the star as seen from space, but this light has to pass through the atmosphere before it hits the ground. On this way its color changes a little further, so there will never arrive pure white light on the ground, even if the star emits it. The color of the light that arrives on the ground is being calculated using a rather accurate approximation formula. However, if you set the sun to emit orange light you should be able to get orange light on the ground, after all the atmosphere just adjusts the intensities of some wavelengths.

The issue that sun and moon pop out will be fixed with the next update, so the first way should work a lot better then. For the viewer height to be really physically correct I'd have to implement some changes as real-life scattering varies with height. This is only really important for planes or mountains though, smaller height differences don't really influence it all that much.

2. metaleap

metaleap

so a sun that's darker than the sky will not work for the time being. It wouldn't make a lot of sense anyhow though.

For now, I just wanna "tone down" the sun from bright-winter-white to something like http://s11.postimg.org/wribdy7fn/gameplay.png... and ideally that means user-adjustable rather than a hard-coded new sun color..

Incidentally, I would also really hope beg for the same option for moon... I need to brighten it up sometimes! Not always, but at times. Now for moon on the one end we have the fade-to-black issue pending, but that'll be resolved via fade-to-night-color. However, for the part of the moon texture that is being sampled, please-please-pretty-puleeze let me specify some additive tint in a future update..... :D of course, this has to be totally independent from the moon's directional-light color --- I do see a use-case where I need the moon to emit blueshift-tinted "light" while itself remaining bright-white. Right now it's a pretty dark gray even though the texture is bright white. But that's even OK, sometimes that works exactly fine -- best if I can adjust the brightness (independently of its directional-light properties) at some point via property..

The issue that sun and moon pop out will be fixed with the next update, so the first way should work a lot better then.

Sounds great! This would be the main issue, the "higher horizon" is less painful. Of course, if you can in the long-term at some point experiment with height-offsetting the whole scattering-shading logic, great... ;)

This is only really important for planes or mountains though --- well that's all planned at my end! :D

So, OK I opened a couple of new points here but don't feel too pressured, I'm quite a few months away from any kind of v1 release myself :D take it easy, ToD rocks and while I truly believe ultimately it will have to address those pending issues, it's all not a deal-breaker during development phase...

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
  3. metaleap

metaleap

Wow, I set colorize back from my previous 0 to something like 0.33 and realize what a huge difference it makes -- looks absolutely stunning now at dusk/dawn!

4. andererandre

andererandre

The color is not hardcoded, I just wanted to mention that additive blending has its limitations in terms of color variation.

Fair point, I'll look into this while I'm at it.

This would definitely be possible to implement, I added it to my idea list.

Already on the list, this might be a good thing to implement together with the beforementioned horizon offset.

You brought up some good points, always nice to get feedback! Greatly appreciated, you think about all the little details in your projects, something I cannot do on my own for every single scenario.

Good to hear!

EDIT: Somewhat unrelated - please spread the word about Time of Day! It really helps a lot, especially since my user base is still realtively small.

5. metaleap

metaleap

Don't have a lot of followers but just tweeted about it :D

6. andererandre

andererandre

Thanks, greatly appreciated!

7. arkon

arkon

I'd buy TOD in a sale, can't afford it as it is. Maybe have it in a sale and grow your user base? Just a suggestion.

8. jc_lvngstn

jc_lvngstn

May I recommend you spice up your demo scenes? IMO those can be your best advertising...really show something that shows TOD in all its glory!

9. Rastar

Rastar

Hello,

you were mentioning that you're considering an additional product dor volumetric clouds. How concrete is this? Any likely estimate for the release? I love Time of Day, but really need "real" clouds (at least for the PC version of my game) since the players can move up into the cloud layer.

Will you be doing this using Unity's particle system, or doing something like GPU raycasting?

10. Deleted User

Deleted User

Please add the possibility to use allegorithmic's substance for the clouds in your next major release.

11. metaleap

metaleap

Aren't substances advertised as "works like any other texture"?

So have you tried selecting the clouds material in your SkyDome prefab's "Clouds" sub-object and swapping out the cloud textures in there?

12. andererandre

andererandre

Thanks for the suggestions regarding the expansion of the user base, I'm always open to suggestions and I'll think about all this after I finished my bachelor's thesis.

It uses a form of ray marching and the shader and illumination are basically complete. I still have to figure out some things in terms of usability, but I hope to have something ready to release later this year. At the moment I'm just really busy with ToD and university, but I should have some more free time a few weeks from now.

What exactly are you looking for? Generating the cloud textures using a substance and using the output in the cloud shader is possible as-is. You just have to assign the diffuse and normal outputs of your substance to the cloud materials. Keep in mind that only the alpha channel of the cloud diffuse texture is being used in the cloud shader, so make sure to set it accordingly in your substance.

13. Evil_Echo

Evil_Echo

Rather than flares, I use the post-effects in Unity. They can be far more subtle, yet dramatic with careful tuning. The sun shafts, applied with a delicate touch, are very effective. I'm including a screenshot to demonstrate how well ToD works with these effects.

One poster commented on the sun emitting white light, wishing for other settings. Andre and I have discussed that in depth, since my Zulu simulation library uses a sun with proper color temperature settings. ToD has no problem with my adjusting emitted sunlight color - though the solar disc may appear off-color compared to light emission. Correcting that would take a simple change in material/shader.

I'd also like to be able to rescale the solar disc in order to support other stars. Having a white dwarf or red giant in the sky would be awesome.

Lastly, it would be extremely impressive to support multiple suns with the planets orbiting the common center of mass. For example -Tatooine in Star Wars, a class G and Class K sun in the sky.

Attached Files:

14. metaleap

metaleap

Here's another request for "the list" ;) :D

So I notice the scene lighting is lighter during full-moon and darker during lower phases. Good idea, smart move and much appreciated!

But would be good if we could specify some kind of threshold or multiplier to ensure the light never goes pitch black.

Here's an example of my current situation: World / Ambient Intensity is 0.7, Moon / Light Intensity is 0.9, Moon / Phase is initially 0 (full moon) and Moon / Light Color is currently at (R146 G178 B201) -- played a lot with possible "night-lighting colors", this is probably not final but "good enough".

So this results in a pretty bright scene lighting but that's fine imagining this is the brightest a night scene can get during "cloudless full-moon nights". Now with phase higher than 0.5 / lower than -0.5, it just gets too dark for my use-case --- at 0.5 full scene lighting is already the darkest I can possibly permit. Sure it's more accurate currently, but my players don't care and they sit with glossy glass screens in bright daylight ;) further tests pending, chances are that even the current 0.3-phase levels of darkness are the darkest I can support.

So there might be other ways to tweak this but I'd like to keep moon color and intensity and ambient-intensity kinda constant rather than rotating them according to the solar system's current alignment :D

Since you're already manipulating both my moon's originally-specified light-color and light-intensity depending on phase, maybe you can expose whatever factor or magic number is used for that manipulation, so we can tweak it --- OR alternatively, perhaps add a simple factor that when 1 has the current behavior, when 0 has no light color/intensity manipulations according to phase, and anywhere in between has a correspondingly weaker expression of 1?

15. metaleap

metaleap

Well --- on standalone, that probably works better as gamers are by now used to sun-flares and they seem somewhat "cheap". But on mobile, they're not only faster than a post-fx but also on that platform they still give off that "OMG look this is so HD" vibe -- to non-techies at least ;)

16. mcmorry

mcmorry

Hello plzdiekthxbye,

first of all thanks for last update. Very nice work as always :)

I was reading about SunShafts on unity documents:
    http://docs.unity3d.com/Documentation/Components/script-SunShafts.html

There is an interesting parameter: "Use alpha mask". The documentation states: "This is useful when your skybox has a proper alpha channel that defines a mask (eg, for clouds blocking the sun shafts)."

So here it comes my question. There is a way to use this with your clouds? :)

Thanks

17. Evil_Echo

Evil_Echo

Absolutely true. However my project targets stand-alone machines. Mobiles currently lack the cpu/gpu horsepower to properly run Zulu - the case is moot here.

18. andererandre

andererandre

I already planned to provide some sort of parameter to tweak this, and I'll make sure to include it in the next update.

I don't know enough about this Unity feature to answer your question for the time being, but I'll promise to look into it before releasing the next update and see if and how this can be used to work together with Time of Day.

19. shwa

shwa

20. andererandre

andererandre

Yes, another customer asked about this and I explained to him how to setup his scene. It looks like I forgot to add this to the feature list and readme though, but I'll do so in the next update. The basic idea is to attach the script "TOD_Camera" to just one of the cameras, after that it should work without any of the issues the built-in skybox system has. If you run into any issues please contact me and I'll make sure to answer any questions you might have.

21. Rastar

Rastar

Quick question: It looks to me as if unsetting the "Set Ambient Light" doesn't work - I have to revert the whole Sky script to its prefab values (reverting just that option doesn't help). Am I misunderstanding something or is that a bug?

22. andererandre

andererandre

It works as it should in my testing environment. This parameter is supposed to automatically adjust the ambient light of the Unity render settings. When I check the checkbox, the ambient light is being updated properly. As soon as I reset the checkbox (tested it with just the checkbox, not the complete prefab) the ambient light no longer changes. Is anyone else able to reproduce this?

The ambient light will of course stay the color it was set to the last time this option was checked, so you have to reset its color manually after unchecking the parameter if you want it to be something else.

23. Rastar

Rastar

OK, my mistake then. So you're permanently overwriting Unity's ambient light as soon as I check the box. I was probably confused by the control being a checkbox: If this was e.g. a button I would assume it's permanent, but a checkbox looks to me as if everything is back to before if I uncheck it (at least in the editor).

But bottom line is: Works as intended. Sorry for the confusion.

24. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi,

nevermind, substance works fine now, thanks! Could you please update the light intensity value, that it can be set above one? When i'm using a tone mapper the scene get's sometimes to dark in linear space.

25. andererandre

andererandre

Can do. Thanks for reporting this.

26. John_MLS

John_MLS

Thank you!

Last edited: May 28, 2015
  27. derkoi

derkoi

Hi, I just bought this package and I seem to have an issue.

In the day/night cycle for some reason my geometry flickers invisible for a frame or two as it gets dark and light.

Here's a video, at the 13 second mark and at the 48 second mark.

Any ideas?

Edit: Seems to be related to the moon object, if i disable it in the hierarchy then I don't get the flash, it's as though it's covering the geometry.

Edit 2: It only happens in deferred lighting mode

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  28. derkoi

derkoi

Anyone know how to set the month? I don't understand this Julian date malarkey. :eek:

29. andererandre

andererandre

Setting up the sky dome itself is literally just drag drop of the prefab.

mcmorry posted a useful script to do this before, I modified it to work with the changed class name:

Code (csharp):
    2.     using UnityEngine;
    3.     public class SetUserTime : MonoBehaviour {
    5.         // Use this for initialization
    6.         void Start () {
    7.             System.DateTime now = System.DateTime.Now;
    8.             TOD_Sky sky = GetComponent<TOD_Sky>();
    9.             sky.Cycle.TimeOfDay = now.Hour + now.Minute/60f;
    10.         }
    11.     }
    You can adjust the time a complete day should take. You can set this parameter to 144 minutes to have the day/night cycle occur 10 times a day..

The package is very configurable via public parameters in the inspector.

Could you test the terrain demo scene on your machine and report back?

Julian date is 1 on January 1st, 2 on January 2nd, ... 32 on February 1st, 33 on February 2nd and so on. It's essentially the day of the year. Like day of the week or day of the month, just for years.

30. metaleap

metaleap

Noticing that the fog color is mostly very fitting when "linear lighting" is off -- but the same fog color is calculated when "linear lighting" is on and the horizon has a much more vibrant coloring..

Note, I'm using "linear lighting" even though I cannot use Unity's Linear space or HDR cameras as I'm targeting mobile. I do this because I like the much more "alive", deeper, stronger sky colors. With linear off it just looks pale and boring, with linear on it looks stunning even if I don't have HDR or Linear-space on. But seems like the fog color currently calculated only fits the horizon with linear off. What could be the reason for this? ;)

31. andererandre

andererandre

To be fair, you're kind of doing something you're not supposed to. :) I'll look into it though, shouldn't be too big of a change.

32. metaleap

metaleap

Would be nice, thanks! My reasoning: even if in this particular case I'm not providing a real hdr/linear pipeline with tonemapping -- no matter what the horizon looks like, we all probably still want the fog color (that will be passed to the same post-processing, if any, as the sky and everything else in the camera!) to match that horizon color as neatly as linear=off does, right? :D Thanks again ;)

33. Foxxis

Foxxis

Just one question (that may have been answered before, apologies): Does the package include non-obfuscated code? Ie. if we need to modify it further for our needs will we be able to do so?

Thanks in advance!

34. metaleap

metaleap

Yeah it does!

35. andererandre

andererandre

That's probably worth more a lot more coming from one of my customers, so I'll just leave it at that. You really shouldn't have any problems understanding and expanding it. I would recommend encapsulating your additions in a separate file as far as possible though, just to remain as compatible as possible with future versions - but you're probably aware of that.

36. metaleap

metaleap

Regarding the fog color... actually I think it's "kinda correct" even in linear. Just not fully usable in the long run as is. So if I only have a flat plane like an endless ocean, I can see the fog color is perfectly correct with regards to the horizon color and actually looks pretty cool! But for higher-altitude distant geometry I guess I'll need to come up with a hacky way to find a reasonable mix between horizon color and sky color for fog color. I'll probably grab your current fog color (is it exposed as a readable C# property by one of the ToD components? ah I can find out myself I guess), find out some other sky-related color exposed by ToD and then mix it somehow..

Just a quick note to let you know I think you don't have to worry about this most recent item of mine for a while, can take it off your to-do list for now ;)

37. halley

halley

I've got a few questions/suggestions I hope have not already been covered to death in this long thread. Physical accuracy is good, but cinematic accuracy works a bit differently.

* How would you go about adding in an improved sun effect, solar lens flares, etc.? You'd need to know the screen-space location of the sun. Ideally, a whiteout when looking directly at the sun would be good.

* Games need visibility, just like movies. The film terminology is "shot blue for night," where they use a thick blue filter during the day to give a night-time feel. It's not accurate, but it lets you see the action. How hard is it to adjust the night-time illumination to allow for a blue-for-night look and feel? Repurposing the directional light at night for moon shadows?

* How about secondary effects you only see in certain circumstances, like parhelions / sundogs, directionally accurate primary and secondary rainbows, crystal rings around the moon and so on? You can really boost the cinematic feel of the sky that way.

* The web player's scene is small and simple on purpose, which makes a lot of sense. However, the water effect is a bit distracting. Perhaps a larger island with a couple low-poly shacks would be good, to see the effect of sun angle and shadow. Also, dragging the scene lets you rotate the camera, but dragging the sliders should not rotate the camera. It was a little hard to find the phase of the moon due to the conflict. Perhaps exclude the GUI zone from the camera control drag feature.

Anyway, very impressive code and I've added it to my list to round out my game concept once it gets a little more mature.

38. jc_lvngstn

jc_lvngstn

Is this the effect you mean, where the sky colors are displayed behind the fog, so that the horizon is visible?

I'd like to know what can be done to minimize the effect.

$horizon.jpg

39. metaleap

metaleap

Well now I'm not sure what YOU mean :D

Let's see, what I mean is the following...

First, non-linear rendering: boring "grey" sky (at 12 noon on a "clear" summer day way up north) ---

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/136375/img/screens/unity-tod-fog-nonlinear.png

Here, the fog color works very well with how the sky is rendered. Brilliant fit, fog working as "atmosphere".

Now, linear rendering (for the sky, I still use a standard LDR camera in what Unity calls "gamma space") ---

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/136375/img/screens/unity-tod-fog-linear.png

Here we have a bright blue sky, just as needed! But the fog color seems to be the same as was used in the non-"linear lighting" setup, or in any event no longer matching quite as nicely.

But if I remove all high-altitude geometry such as terrains, and only have an endless flat ground plane (water or other), then I do realize the fog color fits the horizon perfectly --- so if the far plane actually fades out geometry at such a low altitude (which is uncommon except for ocean or flat desert) then it's all good.

But some hacky way to get a second color describing the "general sky hue" above the horizon so I can mix between them for fog color might be a good idea.. what you think?

40. andererandre

andererandre

While you can of course simply add lens flares to the directional light, I would recommend doing this as a post-processing effect. The sun flare / god rays effect that comes with Unity kind of does that actually. I'm currently looking at how I could bundle those kinds of things out of the box and how to make it play nice with the clouds.

The color of the light emitted at night is configurable. What do you mean with moon shadows? The directional light of the moon drops shadows by default, but I'm not sure if you mean that.

Thanks for the ideas and sources. While I'd love to add effects like that, they'll have to wait until I'm completely satisfied with the rest of the sky dome. Therefore I can't make any promises at this point.

The demo scene does need some improvements as jc_lvngstn mentioned before. Thanks for the input.

Thanks, good to hear!

Well, the fog color is constant for the complete scene. It can therefore only match the horizon and not all parts of the sky dome at all heights. Mountains will therefore always have this issue in some way and most AAA games try to reduce it using HDR, bloom and lens flares / god rays.

For the ocean I would recommend removing the fog from the water shader (Fog { Mode Off } I believe). As you reflect the sky dome on the ocean anyhow, its will match the color at the horizon perfectly without applying fog. Fog will only destroy this.

As I said to jc_lvngstn, mountains will always suffer from this. We can talk about ways to minimize it, though. I would recommend to modify the fog in your terrain shader to decrease with terrain height. Arma 3 added this due to this exact issue.

41. metaleap

metaleap

Yeah as I said the ToD-suggested fog is actually fine as it perfectly fits the horizon, I just gotta hack me some way to deal with terrains. Your Arma suggestion sounds neat..

42. metaleap

metaleap

I notice the "space" sub-object does not get disabled during daytime.. isn't that an additional, completely unnecessary drawcall (and shader-switch and texture-bind)? Any chance you could auto-disable the space layer from after-dawn until before-dusk? When I manually interactively disable the space layer during daytime in play-mode / Game View, I don't notice any difference in the rendered image, so it seems to not contribute anything during most of the day. I know it fades in/out during dusk/dawn nicely, but the rest of the time surely it could be disabled similar to the directional lights?

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  43. cygnusprojects

cygnusprojects

Any news on this issue as it seems after we upgraded to the latest version we encounter the same vanishing behavior.

44. andererandre

andererandre

The reason for this has been that I couldn't necessarily tell when the space game object is not needed (completely overlayed by the scattering), but I should be able to fix this as I solve parts of the scattering equations for the fog calculation anyhow. Thanks for reminding me.

I haven't gotten a reply from derkoi on this issue yet, so I'd like to ask you to test the terrain demo scene on your machine and report back (in your project - just open the scene, enable time progression and run it). If it works it's an issue with your scene or project specifically and we can try to pinpoint the issue from there. Also please report which version of Unity you're using.

45. cygnusprojects

cygnusprojects

Hi, I tested it with the Test Scene Terrain and the issue occurs there as well. But I had to add a non terrain object into the scene first (like the standard Cube) before it was noticable.
    I'm running Unity 4.2.2f1.

EDIT: I PM you the full computer specs.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  46. vrpostcard

vrpostcard

I too am having the problem where the hidden objects flickers on screen for a single frame. Seems to happen at the transition between night and day at both the morning and afternoon. I'm running Unity 4.2.2f1 but it also occurred on Unity 4.2.1.
    $ScreenShot004.jpg $ScreenShot005.jpg $ScreenShot006.jpg $ScreenShot007.jpg

47. metaleap

metaleap

Might very well be DirectX or GPU related, probably best to tell him the full setup specs including Unity build target and whether DX11 was specifically enabled!

I've played a LOT with ToD in all sorts of odd combinations in heavily geometry-populated scenes and I never observed this on any of 3 completely different laptop GPUs (different vendors too). But I force my Unity to run in -force-opengl mode and I'm targeting OpenGL ES 2.x, not Windows or DirectX. I do remember from other projects that especially when DX11 is enabled, quite a few custom / 3rd-party shaders out there don't immediately work out-of-box until patched up specifically.

48. andererandre

andererandre

I would like you to do the following:
    - Run your existing project in a standalone build and report if the error persists
    - Create a new Unity project, import just Time of Day and try running the demo scene (both editor and standalone)
    - PM me your exact hardware and software specs

Thanks for the specs, please try the following:
    - Run your existing project in a standalone build and report if the error persists
    - Create a new Unity project, import just Time of Day and try running the demo scene (both editor and standalone)

The strange thing is that all components of Time of Day seem to work just fine but all other objects have issues as soon the two directional lights switch their active states. It might very well be a Unity bug (clipping, depth buffer?), but I don't want to jump to this conclusion without doing some further testing and assemble a minimal test scene to reproduce the bug with.

49. metaleap

metaleap

I notice your AmbientColor() and FogColor() funcs are currently private. I'm gonna do some fancy experiments with those colors (without setting them directly in the scene via Tod_Sky) so I'll change them to internal or public in my loca TOD_Sky.cs. Would you change these from private in your code-base (for the next update) too? No need to hide them as every ToD users gets the sources anyway..

50. andererandre

andererandre

Will do.