Search Unity

Time of Day - Dynamic Sky Dome

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by andererandre, Mar 4, 2013.

1. creat327

creat327

what are the official sky solutions provided by unity? As far as I know, there is none.

2. andererandre

andererandre

From what I understand the Physically Based Sky is intended to be the future. They are also working on Volumetric Clouds and Cloud Layers.

3. creat327

creat327

but that's for high definition, not for mobile which was the main use of these packages

4. Salvador-Romero

Salvador-Romero

Thank you, Andre. If you have moved on perhaps this is the best thing to do. Why did Unity asked you to make changes? Did they ask you to support the new render pipelines, perhaps?

5. Salvador-Romero

Salvador-Romero

Given that this might be the sunset of this asset, I'd like to publicly thank @PanicEnsues for years of support of his fellow users, including me, in this forum. Your answers were always fast, well informed and detailed. Thank you for disinterested support!

6. PanicEnsues

PanicEnsues

You're quite welcome, glad I was able to pay forward some of the great Unity Forums help I've received over the years!

And thanks to @andererandre for making this plugin; it saved me a ton of work on my last game and was quite easy to work with.

Salvador-Romero likes this.
  7. PanicEnsues

PanicEnsues

Knowing what the actual error is (and the code that caused it) would be kind of essential to helping with any debugging.

This function will convert a float hour to a 24-hour time string:
    Code (CSharp):
    1.     public static string HoursToTimeString(float hour)
    2.     {
    3.         var ts = System.TimeSpan.FromHours(hour);
    4.         string val = ts.Hours.ToString("00") +
    5.             ":" + ts.Minutes.ToString("00") +
    6.             ":" + ts.Seconds.ToString("00");
    7.         return val;
    8.     }

rusvenlee likes this.
  8. Salvador-Romero

Salvador-Romero

Add this script as a component to the UIText object you are using to display hours or minutes:

Code (CSharp):
    1.     public class CurrentTimeInText : MonoBehaviour
    2.     {
    3.         public enum TimeSection { Hour, Minute};
    5.         public TimeSection section; //This is to select if you want the text to show hours or minutes from the editor
    6.         private TOD_Sky TodManager;
    7.         private Text Text;
    9.         void Awake()
    10.         {
    11.             var tod = GameObject.FindGameObjectWithTag("TimeOfDay");
    12.             TodManager = tod.GetComponent<TOD_Sky>();
    13.             Text = GetComponent<Text>();
    14.         }
    16.         void Update()
    17.         {
    18.             Text.text = section == TimeSection.Hour ? TodManager.Cycle.DateTime.Hour.ToString("00") : TodManager.Cycle.DateTime.Minute.ToString("00");
    19.         }
    20.     }
    TOD example.png

I use separate UIText objects for hours and minutes so I can layout them easier, but you may not need it.

You may need to add the tag "TimeOfDay" to the Time of Day object.

Cheers.

rusvenlee likes this.
  9. zak666

zak666

Dam its gone, looks really good really wanted to buy this RIP

10. Ukounu

Ukounu

There is an error in "Atmosphere.shader". The bottom vertex of that sphere has its normal pointing straight up (0, 1, 0), and the shader is not handling that data correctly.

Easy solutions (either will work):
    1) in Sky.fbx import tab enable mesh compression;
    2) import Sky.fbx into any 3D editing software and slightly move that bottom vertex so as to change its normal;

Or you can edit Atmosphere.shader and fix the error, of course.

Just leaving this here in case somebody else will be googling for this fix a few years later.

11. alvaro95bs

alvaro95bs

Hi, how can I download? its from Unity 2018, thanks!

12. hermitmode

hermitmode

Hey. I understand that this asset is a decade old, that the creator has deprecated it because he does not have the time to support it, that other solutions exist and that those that have been helping in this thread have even abandoned it, with the last response going unanswered for months.

I would still like to take a shot with this question: Using built in renderer, forward rendering path and the CREST WATER system, the "Camera Atmospheric Scattering" is not taking into account the ocean and the "fog" of the atmospheric scattering is not being applied over any visible ocean. Does anyone have any idea as to a fix for this, be it script execution orders, shader modification, or whatnot?

Thanks

13. buger_bugger

buger_bugger

I need this for making modules, but now I can't get/download unity, which shows that the resource has been removed. What should I do?

14. hopeful

hopeful

Not sure exactly what you need, but there are other time of day / atmospherics type assets in the store. Research them carefully to make sure you're getting the features you need.

15. VIC20

VIC20

Yes, unfortunately this asset was discontinued a long time ago.
    What do you mean by modules? If you just need an asset that automatically sets the appropriate light for the time of day based on location and date, then SunLight - location based Time of Day, for example, would be a robust solution with no unnecessary bells and whistles that works with Unity's built-in sky. The basic function is to adjust the rotation and color of the directional light used for the sky so that it is perfectly compatible with the standards.