Search Unity

Time of Day - Dynamic Sky Dome

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by andererandre, Mar 4, 2013.

1. dempseyg

dempseyg

2. EternalAmbiguity

EternalAmbiguity

Thanks for the suggestion! I appreciate it. That does look very good. I'll take a look at it and see if it'll work for my purposes.

3. andererandre

andererandre

The value all the way to the left is used for the entire day (except sunset and sunrise) and the value all the way to the right is used for the entire night (except sunset and sunrise). Around sunset and sunrise the gradient starts to slowly interpolate from left to right, using the sun height as interpolation parameter.

This is true for both the day and the night gradients, so you can have a more intense blue for the night sky color when the sun is still above the horizon by modifying the left value of the night sky color gradient. This is very useful to tweak the blueness of the sky around sunset and sunrise without screwing up your sun colors, which is impossible to do with a single color gradient for both day and night.

EDIT: Horizon clouds are still at an early stage in development. Further improvements are on the roadmap.

4. Olander

Olander

Updated my project to Unity 5 RC1 Time of Day v3.0....still rendering beautifully. I love the adjustments you have made to ToD. Thank You.

As to the clouds and lightning effects. Just an early update.

It appears the clouds seem to render better in this version or perhaps a combination of Unity 5. In any case in my opinion the clouds in ToD look best in Density mode.....especially at dawn and dusk. The only thing missing I can see in these clouds is when they become overcast there are no/little under shadows....dark areas missing. Other than that I think ToD clouds are fantastic and control very well.

Perhaps another layer could be added to the cloud shader that just appears when overcast?

The lightning effect from a storm lights the clouds just fine. I tested the UniStorm, ARS, and my own lightning flash and all work equally well with ToD clouds. The secret to making the lightning flash properly is setting the light location just above the SkyDome. So if you adjust the size of the SkyDome you will need to adjust the lightning light. Via script simply setting the radius to SkyDome Y*0.5. If the SkyDome is kept round...as it should...placing lightning strikes is simple. However, with the way the SkyDome moves with the Player.....in a Multiplayer environment the Lightning will be very tricky if left alone.

So I think the solution for Lightning with ToD is to have a sphere to place lightning strikes separate from the player. As the Player moves the SkyDome and the Lighting Sphere would overlap and strikes could be seen by any Player's SkyDome. For large terrains many Lightning Spheres could be placed....where lightning could occur.

It would be interesting if rain and such could be done in this manner as well? This would allow rain to fall away from where the player is adding even more realism than we have now with this brilliant lighting. Not sure if a Sphere or Ellipse or a Large Cube would be best for this.

Any opinions?

5. Cargh

Cargh

@Olander I have UniStorm at the moment and love the weather features, however like you pointed out the lighting does not compare to Time of Day. How easy is it to get UniSotrm working with TOD? Also is integrating Storm Effects cloud solution much additional work?

@plzdiekthxbye Is there any long term plans to add weather features? At the moment this is the only thing really making me hesitate about moving across to TOD.

You could even have the Sphere/Ellipse/Cube of rain or lightning physically move across the world environment as a weather system. With the control over lightning you could have them hit high towers / metal structures.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
  6. Olander

Olander

@Cargh What I am finding during this test is that with Storm Effects as an 'Under Layer' to Time of Day we receive everything for amazingly realistic weather effects for Time of Day. I have my own temperature control from my Neverwinter Nights weather system and am implementing that this week. All in all this is looking very very promising. A Time of Day complete solution.

Although Storm Effects would be an addon purchase for Time of Day the scripts to get Temperature and Weather working flawlessly with Time of Day.....Out of the Box.....would be free for the Time of Day community. It is up to our fabulous Time of Day author to decide if he would like to integrate it or not. In either case....Time of Day will have really good weather.

I think the Cube may be the best in the end. Sliding the cube along the 0 Axis in the direction of the wind. The cube (Large Rectangular Box) would simply adjust itself to the radius of the SkyDome +10m. Not sure on this yet but perhaps the cube needs to be the full width of the Terrain then slide from one end to the other?

Opinions?

7. Non Hic

Non Hic

Hi!

I think this asset would be a great mix with Silverlining clouds. Now, I wonder, is it possible to remove the moon? I would like to have my own moon solution to make it look different. Is there perhaps a checkbox to add/remove the moon?

8. SteveEsco

SteveEsco

I really like TOD and it would be awesome to mix this in with Storm Effects from what I've seen of it... Are you saying that it is possible to do this Out of the Box right now or that it would require some tweaking to the scripts?

9. Olander

Olander

My intent is to make this as 'Out of the Box' as possible. Since this will be a community (free) addon to Time of Day it will require the purchase of Time of Day and Storm Effects. The scripting and details to get really nice weather to work will begin with myself but improvements can be made by anyone. I will host the files on my FTP which I will post the details in this forum.

For Persistence I will provide a function that utilizes Easy Save 2 ( www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/768 ) but if you are using your own database solution then you will simply need to modify the inners of these functions.

So what I have working and a brief explanation of how the system functions.

Time of Day v3.0
    Unity 5
    (should also function in Unity v4.6...someone else can test this :) )

What is working:
    Controlling Time of Day's clouds via a Humidity %
    0-20% is Clear Skies and little ambient fog
    20-30% is Clouds beginning to thicken
    30-40% is Mostly to Full Cloudy Skies
    Cold Fronts will Trigger Precipitation
    40-60% is Light Rain/Snow
    60-80% is Medium Rain/Snow
    80-100% is Heavy Rain/Snow and Thunderstorms (even thunder in winter storms :) )

Particle FX Under Layer Clouds (Storm Effects) appear when there is a need to precipitate
    **still trying to figure out the best height below Time of Day clouds

Rain/Snow Particle FX set to Above the Under Layer Clouds
    **Rain/Snow fall through the clouds to collide with object on the ground (colliders).

Lightning Effect within the confines of the Under Layer Cloud
    **sometimes it is just a light flash in the clouds and sometimes a bolt will show.

TVAR has a radius of effect. I have capped this at 10 for the time being in one scene. What happens is when a Cold Front passes over these various weather things can happen based upon the configuration of this particular TVAR. This makes it possible to have very large or small weather zones in your scenes. TVAR1 is what defines the entire scene and TVAR2-10 are considered Micro Climates within this Scene.
    **TVAR data is persistent

Dynamic Fog Coloring
    **This is extremely important to making the ambiance feel right in various climates. Exterior scenes ooze with quality. Especially with the excellence of Time of Day's light rendering.

Weather Data available from the _GameData game object to do all sorts of things with it....
    Examples being Hunger, Thirst, and Fatigue....sweating....heat stroke....freezing....speed increase/decrease

What is Not Working:
    - Orientation of the particle FX to the direction that Time of Day clouds are moving.
    - Cold Front Plane and Movement across the terrain
    - Dynamic Fog
    - Damage from a Lightning Strike to characters. :)
    - Thunder and Wind Sounds (I have some very nice sounds I will include license free...they are mine. If you feel better using your own....you can plug them in)

Configurations of Weather:
    - Temperature (All Degrees in Celsius. If Fahrenheit is desired there will be an option to convert Celsius automatically for displaying)
    - Humidity %
    - Moving fronts....a Plane defines the front and 'slides' across the zero axis. Where the Plane crosses a TVAR is where the weather can happen. No TVAR No Weather
    - Configuration of the TVAR <= Weather Game Object that you configure which talks to the game data object.....yes weather will be persistent over game restarts. :)

The following are features of this weather system (pasted from my Olander's Realistic Weather in NWScript). Converting to C# has not been so bad actually.

Hemisphere
    For North or South of Equator
    Default N for North

Temperature Zone (All Degrees in Celsius)
    0 - None Weather Off
    1 - Tropical 12 Months Warm 20 and Above
    2 - Subtropical 8 Months Warm 20 to 30, 4 at 10 Min to 20
    3 - Temperate 8 Months 10 to 10 to 20, 4 at 0 to 10
    4 - Cold 4 Months 10 to 20, 8 at 10 to -20
    5 - Polar 12 Months 10 and Below

Precipitation Class
    0 - Arid - No Rain (even if Humidity is set)
    1 - Semi Arid - Slight Summer Rain
    2 - Arid Oceanic - Slight Winter Rain
    3 - Oceanic - Winter Rain, Dry Summer
    4 - Tropical - Summer Rain, Dry Winter
    5 - Temperatate - Rain in all Seasons

//Fog Colors Used (Defaults)
    const int FOG_MORNING = 0x949494;//Light Grey
    const int FOG_LIGHTRAIN = 0x7F7F7F;//Medium Grey
    const int FOG_STORMCLOUDS = 0x6B6B6B;//Darker Grey

//Dynamic Overrides
    const int FOG_LSNOW = 0xCDCDCD;//Light Snow/Cold
    const int FOG_MSNOW = 0xBABABA;//Medium Snow/Cold
    const int FOG_DSNOW = 0xA3A3A3;//Darker Snow/Cold

const int FOG_LBLUISH = 0xB4CDCD;//Light Cool Blue
    const int FOG_MBLUISH = 0x8DB6CD;//Medium Cool Blue
    const int FOG_DBLUISH = 0x4A708B;//Darker Cool Blue

const int FOG_LDESERT = 0xE7C6A5;//Light Desert
    const int FOG_MDESERT = 0xD2B48C;//Medium Desert
    const int FOG_DDESERT = 0x8C7853;//Darker Desert

//AREA HEAT AND COLD TEXTS
    //Outdoor
    const string HEATMILD = "A mild weather day. Easy travels.";
    const string HEATWARM = "A warm day today. Slightly more difficult travels.";
    const string HEATWARMER = "A hot day today. Difficult long days ahead.";
    const string HEATWARMEST = "A very hot day today. Maybe I should have stayed home.";
    const string COLDMILD = "Slightly chilly today. Grab a cloak or light winter clothing.";
    const string COLDCOLD = "A chilly day today. Bring some warmer clothing.";
    const string COLDCOLDER = "A cold day today. I should dress up warmly.";
    const string COLDCOLDEST = "A brutally cold day today. I hope to stay warm enough!";

//Indoor
    const string INDOORMILD = "A Nice and comfortable temperature in this place.";
    const string INDOORWARM = "Warm in here.";
    const string INDOORWARMER = "Pretty warm in this place.";
    const string INDOORWARMEST = "This place is scorching.";
    const string INDOORCOLD = "It is chilly in here.";
    const string INDOORCOLDER = "It is cold in here.";
    const string INDOORCOLDEST = "It is very cold in here. A real freezer!";

In any case....this is looking very promising.
    Cheers
    O

Teila and hopeful like this.
  10. Gokcan

Gokcan

Assets/Time of Day/Assets/Scripts/TOD_Parameters.cs(568,16): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `ReflectionProbeClearFlags' could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?

I am using RC2 and TOD 3.0.0

11. Gokcan

Gokcan

Does TOD 3.0.0 compatible with RC2?

12. elbows

elbows

I don't get those problems with RC2.

I suspect either your version of Unity or Time Of Day is not right.

Try deleting the Time Of Day Folder and bringing in 3.0 from the store again. You may need to take note of an asset store bug that I talk about in the following post earlier in this thread, which could cause your version of Time Of Day to not really be 3.0 in your project, if you tried to import it immediately after downloading the update:

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/time-of-day-dynamic-sky-dome.172763/page-17#post-1958815

Looking back at Unity beta release notes, it was beta 21 where ReflectionProveClearFlags was moved to the Unity.Renderer namespace. So this isn't something that just changed in RC2, and Time Of Day 3.0 (or earlier, cant remember) fixed it.

13. Morfeuskiev

Morfeuskiev

Hi. In the First i want to say that 3.0.0 version is very beautiful. But i have have, maybe the last!, problems.
    I use Suimono water with Time of Day. (It can the same in 2.3.5 and 3.0.0 version). When Skydome TOD enable - Suimono infinity mode ocean is cuts on the end of terrain. When i disable TOD - Suimono works fine.

This is problems TOD or Suimono?

Thanks in advanced.
    TOD Enable
    Suimono_TOD.jpg
    TOD Disable
    Suimono_TOD_disable.jpg
    Suimono_TOD_issues.jpg

I use Unity 4.6.2 pro. Linear space, Deffered path.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  14. Sarudan

Sarudan

Have you updated your plugin to work with Unity 5's new procedural sky?

15. DefinitionUK

DefinitionUK

First test of V3.0.0 working in Unity 5 RC2. Clouds and Time are both synced to server. Thanks for your continued work with TOD guys!

16. Olander

Olander

Hi all ToD Folks!

@DefinitionUK - Looking Great. I am running the same and fantastic results.

I am quite far along on the weather. I have only one stumbling block so far....that in a moment. The only thing I have not gotten working is the dynamic lightning strikes......everything is working and needs a little tweaking. I am also still tweaking with the 'Under-layer' of clouds that appear only when humidity is >40% and darken the higher it goes. So far it looks nice but still a little work. Setup will be super simple.

Another bit of good news is that because of purchasing this or that to include with Time of Day things may get a little sticky. So I simply created my own FX and textures for weather. I am also providing my own very nice sounds which really give Time of Day that really nice ambient effect.

And lastly I will include with the setup information the persistent time code and _GameData object scripts and setup. Plugs right into ToD v3.0 with only TOD_Time being modified from v3.0.

The stumbling block:
    Perhaps @plzdiekthxbye can help here. When I set the Weather selector box the Ambient Light is basically turning off. I am resolving this by leaving it set on clear and modifying the Light Intensity of the Sun and Moon. The end result is very nice, however, as the clouds thicken the glow from the Sun especially is still present through the clouds. It would nice to lessen it a bit during the cloud thickening process. Smoke and Mirrors here. At this point the Weather Selector box will not be needed at all.

Any ideas?

Cheers
    O

creat327 likes this.
  17. Teila

Teila

This sounds great! I have hesitated to by a time of day asset due to performance issues and lack of features. All have something I like but none have everything I like. With this weather system I think Time of Day will be my choice. Looking forward to seeing it all put together. Thank you.

18. creat327

creat327

Yeah, i'm stuck with Unistorm because of the weather system. If this one can replace it, i'll be a happy user of TOD

19. Olander

Olander

@creat327 I agree. The old UniStorm was very close to being brilliant but the new is....well....different. Especially when compared to the Time of Day light rendering. ARS did an addon to Time of Day but it was riddled with holes and the author seemed to drop off the radar to make updates.

@Teila Time of Day actually runs very quickly. Very little performance hit at all with stellar coloring.

Speaking of which. I did some heavy testing last night for performance. Weather fronts would need to be in 50m blocks or the frame rate begins to start dropping. Particularly in heavy rain. So I believe I can have the 50m block follow the player around and trigger when entering a TVAR. The 50m block (box) does give a very nice illusion of being in a rain shower or snow storm.

With the 50m block and a deluge (95%+ humidity) I maintain 100+fps with my GTX750ti. Very solid results.

So this is getting very close. I will most likely open up a separate forum topic just for the weather addon so we don't pollute this forum any further with weather related features or changes by the community.

hopeful likes this.
  20. creat327

creat327

yeah please, open thread and paste link here
    also, remember some of us focus on mobile... I run this and UnityStorm on an iPhone 4 and a Samsung s3 with no much problem.

21. topofsteel

topofsteel

I am recieving the following error in V3.0.0 and RC3. I really like all of the updates also. I'm looking forward to taking advantage of everything in Unity5. Thanks.

U5-error.png

22. andererandre

andererandre

Yikes, I'd really like to know why the Unity forums sometimes don't send me any notifications about new posts in here. Sorry for the longer than usual delay to answer your questions.

You can just toggle the game object "active" checkbox.

Yes, as elbows said you probably have to do a full reimport.

The water should either write to depth or render after TOD (i.e. as a transparent object in the render queue). I don't know why the author decided to render the water the way he does, so it's probably best to double-check with him and ask why it's that early in the render queue yet doesn't write to depth.

TOD supports all Unity 5 PBR features and integrates with the new skybox system. It's a replacement for the default Unity 5 procedural skybox.

Not quite understanding what you're saying here. The weather selection adjusts the parameters Clouds.Density, Clouds.Sharpness, Clouds.Brightness and Atmosphere.Fogginess - the only thing that affects the ambient light is Atmosphere.Fogginess, which makes ambient light more of a solid gray if set close to 1.

Can you try a full reimport and report back? RC3 is working fine here with the latest version of TOD. We've been using it on Windows, OS X and Linux for over a week now.[/QUOTE]

23. Morfeuskiev

Morfeuskiev

Author Suimono recommended me change in your shaders Render queue from "Transparent" to "Background". At now all work fine. Your skybox mesh always writes first. Maybe this is good solution?

24. OnePxl

OnePxl

25. hopeful

hopeful

I'm not sure why it would be reported. Is it because of use of the "Time of Day" asset name?

Unity allows assets to have the same or very similar names, which I will agree is confusing. Search "fantasy music" and you will find "Fantasy Music Pack," "Fantasy Music Pack," and "Fantasy Music Pack 1 & 2" - all by different publishers. You will also find "Fantasy Music Collection" and "The Fantasy Music Collection," again by different publishers.

Bottom line: buyers have to check the publisher name to make sure they're getting the right asset.

26. OnePxl

OnePxl

"Time Of Day" is a pretty specific name for a day/night cycle asset. Unlike your examples which use generic terms, I agree that in those cases it's alright. But in this case I felt that the author of that package was abusing the fact that Time of Day was not available for Unity 5 yet. It seemed like false advertising to me.

27. topofsteel

topofsteel

Re downloaded, imported, no errors. Thanks. (user error)

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  28. topofsteel

topofsteel

Is a summary of the Unity5 features or an upgrade guide currently available? I didn't see anything in the documentation. I know i've seen a lot of information scattered through this thread over the months, I'm just curious if it's been organized. Anyway, my specific question is how do I use the TOD Skydome for ambient light and reflections? Thanks.

29. netvortex_dc

netvortex_dc

Hrm for some reason i cannot see the sun anymore, i see it in the scene view but it's not showing up on the camera anymore. Version 5.0.0f3...

Edit:Same for moon

Fixed it:
    Camera must be set to ClearFlags: SolidColor ... if it's Skybox the moon wont be drawn. Odd.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  30. andererandre

andererandre

For ambient light and reflections there's a new section in the docs. I'll extend the docs in that area as the official Unity 5 manual progresses. I'm trying to reuse as much of the official docs by linking to them when it comes to native Unity features.

Those two questions are actually related. They are good examples for the many cases the render queue position has to work for. Fact is that space, sun and moon before have to render before ImageEffectOpaque and the clouds have to render after it. The camera skybox appears to get rendered right before ImageEffectOpaque but after space, sun and moon. I chose that position intentionally but it might not be the best solution for the problem I tried to solve. It's difficult to make those requirements fit in with other third party packages, but out of interest - what's the render queue position of Suimono? If I can get exact numbers I'll double-check that the current compromise is the best solution. If there's room for improvement I'll make sure to utilize it.

Looking at the release date of the asset you posted I already had Unity 5 support way before it came out, which means their package description text is misleading. The title also suggests that it's a newer version of the existing Time of Day package with support for Unity 5. That being said, I wouldn't be hugely bothered by their name alone since the package doesn't look like something anyone would intentionally choose over my Time of Day. On the other hand I fail to see any reasoning for them to choose that name other than trying to cash in on the name. It's not like "Time of Day" is a generic description of the contents of the package.

31. OnePxl

OnePxl

My thoughts exactly. I'll admit I did a double take when I saw the title come by.

32. chingwa

chingwa

Suimono is using "Geometry-1" for it's surfaces. Just like you I chose that queue to address some very specific issues, and it may not work best for all cases. (but, us Asset Authors have to make decisions sometimes :) )

In general I find using the "Background" queue for skydomes to be more compatible across various scenes, at least when you're not writing fog effects to the screen. There will always be outlying cases though.

33. elbows

elbows

I know what you mean, but on the other hand it sort of is. By this I mean that if I google for 'time of day game engine' I will get relevant results for Cryengine, UE4 and Blender as well as Unity.

hopeful likes this.
  34. GXMark

GXMark

Latest Time of Day version

The following error occurs when using TOD_Time

When the DayLengthInMinutes becomes 0.

ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Argument is out of range.
    System.DateTime.AddMilliseconds (Double value) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System/DateTime.cs:609)
    System.DateTime.AddHours (Double value) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System/DateTime.cs:602)
    TOD_Time.AddHours (Single hours, Boolean adjust) (at Assets/Time of Day/Assets/Scripts/TOD_Time.cs:88)
    TOD_Time.AddSeconds (Single seconds, Boolean adjust) (at Assets/Time of Day/Assets/Scripts/TOD_Time.cs:129)
    TOD_Time.FixedUpdate () (at Assets/Time of Day/Assets/Scripts/TOD_Time.cs:192)

35. andererandre

andererandre

Thanks for the info on your shader queue position. I do support image effects that run right before transparent objects start rendering since post-effect fog is the only fog that can be used with deferred rendering in Unity 5. It's quite possible that the background render queue is compatible with that though - I just haven't checked yet. It's on my list for the next update and I'll report back as soon as I know more.

Thanks for reporting, I'll make sure to fix this in the next patch release.

36. Olander

Olander

@plzdiekthxbye Thanks for the reply. The Atmosphere.Fogginess is exactly what I was talking about. Perhaps I am simply misunderstanding 'Fogginess'. I am currently finishing up on the Time of Day Weather and am trying to control lighting based upon cloud density and and cloud brightness. As humidity increases the cloud density increases and cloud brightness decreases. The effect looks very good. Light and Fog are the final two issues.

1) Lighting for testing is between 0.25 to 0.9 for a very good realistic look. This value does move a bit when the sky becomes more cloudy. I have not figured out how to tie in my Light Intensity to the Sky Dome. The is no sky.Light.Intensity that may be set. If possible can that be added? Need a little help here.

2) Fog. I was expecting control of Linear Fog so I could control 'thickness' in cool humid times of the day as well as desert and icy environments. The way you are controlling fog seems to be a bit different or perhaps is a bug? Not sure here. I am setting sky.Atmosphere.Fogginess directly.

Weather Update:
    As to the weather system it has turned out very good and only one script in the Time of Day system had to be modified (TOD_Time). I made the change in a particular way that would certainly be possible to integrate to your script as an External Time control option.

I will be making a new Unity Forum posting and hosting the Time of Day Weather Addon on my forum. I have a little forum set up to do (newly installed forum) so Sunday (8MAR2015) will be the date...even if the above 2 issues are not resolved prior. As stated prior, the Weather Addon is a Community Free Time of Day Addon that is extremely feature rich and realistic weather system. All weather effects are Shuriken Particles and have been set up to be very performance focused while keeping a realistic appeal. Although I have not tested it in a multiplayer environment the code structure is such that all players are synchronized to Game Data and the Weather Master.

Cheers

gurayg, hopeful and Teila like this.
  37. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Looking forward to seeing this @Olander :)

Teila likes this.
  38. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

I'm getting closer to the results I am looking for in this scene, but the sky is strangely "textured".
    Any ideas as to what might be causing this?

39. creat327

creat327

compression artifacts? what compression format for the sky texture are you using?

40. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

Went through all the textures and removed any compression, no change.
    It looks like something is scaled really small, very high value in the tiling.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  41. pollolan

pollolan

Hello,
    I had previously posted a message months ago, but I managed to lose my password and Unity refuses to send me back the email to change it \ or I was dumb and registered with some oldass email... sigh.
    That said, I had previously asked about the "event happens at X times" and I'm very happy to see that TOD 3.0 features something like that, or at least that's what I assume "Added events that are fired when a year, month, day, hour or minute have passed to TOD_Time" is . Before considering a purchase though, I wanted to ask if a sample documentation could be provided.
    All I found was:
    Events
    Action OnMinute
    Fired whenever the minute value is incremented.

which, just to be clear, I understand might be perfectly fine for 99% of the people here. But I, being the kind of programming noob that I am :(, I really would need something like this
    Really, just a super super simple sample script like, at X hour\minute, reset the scene (it's one simple thing I need)
    The reason as to why I am not using Unistorm is that I have heard mixed reports from friends that use it, and I am not interested in the weather anyway (but thanks to Olander for what you're doing).

42. snowcult

snowcult

43. alphakanal

alphakanal

Hi, thanks for this awesome asset! :)

But as i'm playing around with some setting, i wonder if i can control the shadow qualitiy as i control it on a "regular" directional light?

Because in the default settings when dragging the prefab into the scene the shadows are very bright - and also the whole scene seems to be very bright/foggy.

Is it also possible to add lens-flares etc on the sun?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  44. andererandre

andererandre

So much activity in here lately! :O

Before answering your questions I'd like to ask you guys something. Would it make sense to drop 4.x support in the near future? Since Unity 5 is free for everybody it seems like a waste of time to continue supporting 4.x. I imagine there are still projects on 4.x out there that want to ship without upgrading to 5, which is why I certainly won't remove 4.x support in a minor release like 2.0.1, but I think it could make sense to drop it in one of the next feature releases. If you're still using 4.x please drop me a message about how long you think you'll be stuck on 4.x just so that I can see if there's still interest in 4.x support and if so for how long.

sky.Light is a reference to the Unity light component, which uses lowercase variable names: http://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Light-intensity.html

I don't control the scene fog density settings at all. Only the color is adjusted. If you want to control the fog density, use RenderSettings directly.

This is probably the anti-banding filter I run on the atmosphere. You can get rid of it by unsetting the "Dithering Lookup Texture" property on the "Atmosphere" material. However, simply reducing the intensity of the texture itself in Photoshop might be a better idea since that way you keep the anti-dithering effect. Can you export your sky parameters to XML and send it to me in a PM or via email so that I can check out if this is a bug or just due to the very specific sky parameters you're using?

It's a normal C# event. Events are really easy to use, here's a good tutorial: http://www.dotnetperls.com/event

You have to set the camera clear flags to "Solid Color" instead of "Skybox". I used to print a warning for this but removed it in 2.0.0. I'll address it one war or another in 2.0.1.

Yes, you can adjust all the usual Unity light parameters on the "Light" child object of the sky dome.

That's probably more of a light intensity / shadow strength issue, which can be adjusted directly on the TOD_Sky component. See Day / Night -> Shadow Strength / Light Intensity in the inspector.

You can add lens flares to the "Light" child object. That being said, the better way to achieve this would really be a post-processing effect like "SE Natural Bloom & Dirty Lens" from the Asset Store. The builtin lens flares have a lot of issues that are unrelated to Time of Day, like only being occluded by colliders instead of all objects that write to depth.

45. alphakanal

alphakanal

Thanks for the quick response. I didn't saw that light-component - was focused on the sun object ;-)

The 4.x support means developing/bugifxes for unity 4.x ? I guess after a certain period you can drop it.
    I think i'll still use 4.x because of some addons, which i won't upgrade to the unity 5 pro.

But another little question:

How do i get a pretty reddish sundown scene? Which parameters have the biggest impact on this?

46. snowcult

snowcult

Oh that's perfect, thanks!

I really love the control over night especially, I love the atmosphere I was able to create really quickly.
    http://i.imgur.com/mf6mNEv.png

47. andererandre

andererandre

Adjusting the right side of the Day.SkyColor gradient is certainly the most "artist-friendly" parameter to tweak this. You can also play with the Atmosphere.RayleighMultiplier and Atmosphere.MieMultiplier parameters.

Very nice!

snowcult likes this.
  48. alphakanal

alphakanal

Hi!

Is there a Playmaker connection possible to set Time or other settings via buttons / scripts?

I'm trying to set via a button to a specific time ( Cycle Hour: 22 ).
    Also:The Skydome is not visible with deferred lighting ( web / standaone ) ? It lights the scene but there is only a solid black background.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  49. OnePxl

OnePxl

This same question was asked in the Shader Forge thread. I don't mind freezing the 4.x version, but would like to still see bugs fixed if I run into them. Other than that, I don't object to moving development to 5.x.

50. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

I'll take a look.