Search Unity

Time manipulation

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Obscurity, Jul 31, 2009.

1. Obscurity

Obscurity

I was just playing http://braid-game.com/ again the other night and it occurred to me that it would be a fun genre to try out with Unity. I personally have nothing to give at the moment but I thought that this thread might be used as a sort of repository for weird time related effects that community members have tried out. Anything from plain old bullet time to parallel player time lines would be cool.

Time Donkey's impending release also inspired me, but I wouldn't expect Flashbang to release their code for that. Pointers would be neat though. Anyone have anything to share?

2. Dasinf

Dasinf

I might be a bit off with this one but I was also planning to do some time twisting at some point. My first reaction would be minimizing random movement as much as possible so that AI positions and such could be calculated from simple "keyframes" that would take far less memory than storing S***loads of position etc. state data.

Then again I'm quite not sure how to reverse play back effects like particles... One option would be to create two effects but that sounds a bit hars. Maybe never destroying objects but rather stopping and deactivating them (and then reactivating + inverse animating on rewind / such) would lead to something.

I'd also like to hear something from someone who's actually done it :D

3. Stals

Stals

We've just written a couple of articles on one of the ways to implement time manipulation things (the way we did it in our game) with example scenes:
    Time Manipulation – Rewinding Time

P.S. I know it's an old thread but if someone will stumble upon it - I think it could be useful.

jimroberts likes this.
  4. jimroberts

jimroberts

Looks similar to how most implementations of time manipulation work, good job. My only concerns are the lack of proper and consistent formatting in your code snippets. Also, your ReversingActionWithTime class should probably be a struct.