Search Unity

Time gap in Free Plan

Discussion in 'Unity Build Automation' started by ayyappa, Apr 24, 2015.

1. ayyappa

ayyappa

Hi,
    Don't you guys feel blocking for 1hr even the previous build was not successful(because of some errors) is a tough thing to manage? Atleast I suppose it can have that restriction if I make a build successful.

Currently I was testing the cloud build and its failing giving not much details in the log. For every new try I need to wait for 1hr according to Free plan. Want to know how others are managing this restriction.

Thanks,
    Ayyappa.

2. bac9-flcl

bac9-flcl

I'm on the Pro plan with 30 minute limit, but it's a similar situation to yours I guess. Personally, I think that delays are a fair restriction considering the cost of lowest paid tier I'm using vs. resource intensive nature of the build process.

Attempting to use UCB to test blind fixes to build-halting errors is indeed a very frustrating experience, but I'd say it's unnecessary to put yourself in a situation where you have to wait 30-60 minutes + build duration every time you want to check whether your change fixed things or not. When there is a blocking issue that breaks the build process, it's reasonable to open XCode and do the sequence of fixes and manual builds yourself, with all the detailed logs and speed benefits that gives you. UCB role isn't to replace your workstation, after all.

There are situations where you can't do that - for example, when you don't own a Mac and your iOS builds in UCB are failing for some reason, but there are services with a different focus that can cover you there - for example, I've used Mac In Cloud for some time and it was a convenient way to get into the guts of an issue without looking for a spare Mac in the office.

David-Berger likes this.
  3. ayyappa

ayyappa

Thanks @bac9-flcl for your input. Your reasons are pretty much valid.
    Builds are working fine when I export manually. I can see UCB is still in progress, but I'm in a situation where I can't get any valid info from the build log.

So I thought at-least in beta period it would be great to remove the restriction and keep it only for successful builds.
    You are right on doing manual export to save time in this aspect, but i'm developing a plugin which needs this support so definitely need to try out with different options, as the logs are not much clear :(

4. bac9-flcl

bac9-flcl

Ah yeah, the situations where your manual builds are successful yet UCB fails (or the opposite, where UCB works flawlessly yet manual builds are failing, which I encountered recently) can be frustrating. I guess the solution here is to ask UCB support for help with comparing your build process with theirs, and for confirmation that build steps you are using are supported in UCB. For example, maybe you are using a something that can't run in the build setup UCB is using (like a post-export method on a non-Studio UCB plan) and maybe the support can point that out.

5. ayyappa

ayyappa

Sure let me check with them, Im not aware that they have limited support on the build steps. Thanks for pointing out.
    I was wondering how the community is dealing with it and wanted to know about it. Looks like its the same problem for every one. Even for 30mins, yes, as you said it can be considered in this category.

Thanks for your time @bac9-flcl :)

6. bac9-flcl

bac9-flcl

No problem, glad to help!

Just in case, the feature comparisons are here (took me a while to find that page as it was hidden in the account dropdown and found nowhere else on the UCB site):

https://build.cloud.unity3d.com/plans/

David-Berger and ayyappa like this.